The Future of Fujifilm in Patents
Why are you doing this?
There is no need for one, totally wasted R&D.
These lenses make no sense!
That’s how some of the comments sounded on my various platforms after I have published the latest patents of the XF56mmF1.7 and re-designed XF18mmF1.4.
And these comments came after I warned you in the article that in 11+ years of blogging I have never seen a patent actually become a real product.
And despite my repeated warnings, some people keep taking those patents as an indication of what’s really coming next from Fujifilm.
But if it was really like this… I mean, if patents would really show us the way that Fujifilm is taking, then where are:
- those patented Full Frame Fujifilm lenses?
- the Fujifilm foldable smartphone?
- the new X-Trans sensor with enlarged green pixels?
- the X100 with 20mmF2 lens?
- the XF16-55mmF2.8 with OIS?
- the XF 85-300mm f/2.7–3.7 patented back in 2014?
So, even though I feel a bit like Don Quixote fighting the windmills, I will give it another try today.
But I’ll take a different approach this time.
Because, well aware that a good number of people don’t go beyond the headline, I decided to create a headline that shows how absurd it is to put any trust in these patents. And hopefully, this will motivate people to look deeper into this subject.
And how do we look deeper into it?
Give them a look, and then make up your own mind if you should take patents as solid indications of future products.
All the Patents (Have Fun :))
The only patents that were ever accurate, where the ones spotted years (!!!) after the product was already made public by Fujifilm. Those patents are therefore not on the list below. For example:
- XF 33mm f/1.0
patent spotted 2 years after the XF33mmF1.0 made it already into the roadmap and even after Fujifilm had already replaced it with the XF50mmF1.0
Many other patents are just variations of already existing products and also those patents were discovered long after the final product was already on the market. And yet, we will keep them in the list because they are not exactly the final product. For example:
And then there are all those patents of lenses, cameras and more that exist since many years and are still waiting to become any sort of real product.
Will any of it ever become real?
Well, you can never say never, and the patents are many. But the goal of this article is not to say that nothing on this list will ever come, but to say that patents are an unreliable indication about Fujifilm’s future.
Fujifilm Full Frame Lenses
X Lens Patents
- Fujinon XF 18-200mm F3.5-6.5 (patent of 2014 and patent of 2021)
- XF 16-55mmm f/2.8 OIS
- XF 18-250mm f/3.5-6.5
- XF 85-300mm f/2.7–3.7
- XF 100-600mm f/5.6-6.3
- XF 200-600mm f/5.6-8
- XF 7mm f/4
- XF 9mm f/.8
- XF 10mm f/2.8
- XF 16mm f/1.8
- XF 18mm f/1.4 with slightly different optical system than the one we already have on the market
- XF 20mm f/1.8
- XF 28mm f/1.0
- XC/XF 30mm F3.5
- XF 30mm f/1.0
- XF 35mm f/1.0
- XF 32mm f/1.0
- XF 33mm f/1.2
- XF 35mm f/1.0
- XF 35mmF1.4 MK II
- XF 56mm f/1.7
- XF 60mm f/2.5 Macro OIS
- XF 77mm f/1.6
- XF 90mm f/1.6
- XF 300mm f/2.8 OIS
- XF 300mm f/4
- XF 400mm f/4 OIS
- XF 400mm f/4
- XF 500mm f/5.6
- XF 500mm f/8 OIS
- XF 550mm f/5.6
- XF 600mm f/6 OIS
GF Lens Patents
- GF 20-30mmF4
- GF 24-50mmF3.5-5.6
- GF 28-100mm F4
- GF 30mmF4.5
- GF 35mm F4
- GF 90mm F1.4
- GF 300mmF2.8 OIS
Cameras, Ergonomics and More Weird Stuff
- Fujifilm Stacked sensor Patent
- Fujifilm patents hybrid AF Pixel
- Fujifilm Foldable Phone Patent Spotted
- 48mm F1.2 Lens for Mirrorless Camera with 1 inch-type Sensor
- Fujifilm X100 with 20mmF2 and 21mmF2 lens
- Fujifilm Patents Active Sensor Cooling System for Cameras with IBIS – not the FAN-001 Cooling Fan
- Fujifilm Patent Shows New Camera Interface (Dual LCD Screen) but it’s the One of the Fujifilm X-T200
- Fujifilm Spirit Level Patent
- Fujifilm Patents 500-2500mm Zoom Lens for 1 inch Type Cameras
- Fujifilm Patent Shows EVF with Diffractive Optics
- Fujifilm Patents Touch Sensitive Top Dial with Adjustable Settings Control
- Fujifilm Patents Touch Sensitive Top LCD Panel
- Fujifilm Patent Shows Compact Camera with Dual Rear Command Dials for Digital Dials Control
- Fujifilm Patent Shows Tilting Top LCD Screen
- Fujifilm Patents 100mmF2 for 1″ sensor camera
- Fuji patents evolution of the “real-image zoom optical viewfinder”
- Patent: new color filter, also for organic sensor
- Fuji Patent: X-Trans evolution? Sensor with enlarged green pixels!
- Fuji patents an idea on how to make work the viewfinder with third party lenses