2014 is almost 6 months old, and I thought it’s time to check back the rumors I’ve published in order to see what turned out to be correct, what was wrong, and especially to tell you how reliable the remaining rumors are.
For me, this is a good opportunity to make a rumor overview of the past half year and to answer to all those readers who dropped me an email asking me how reliable rumors published in the past months are.
Rumors NOT included: rumors from other sites and blogs, as I simply reported about them and never confirmed them with my sources (like digicame-info saying the X30 would come in February/March, the 18-135 price [it was published by a store], Fujifilm Bangladesh announcing a new X-mount camera, the freepatentsonline stuff, Dominik Fusina publishing his fake X-W1 and a few more).
And here they are. I added very low, low, medium or high rating to the rumors. I hope this helps you to get an orientation in the rumor jungle.
enjoy your day,
facebook, google+, RSS-feed and twitter
– X100T successor of X100S
– XF16mm 1.4
– X-PRO2 with APS-C sensor
– No more X-PRO1S, all R&D placed into the X-PRO2
– X30 coming in summer (so there is time until September 20)
– XF 35mm MKII (As Fuji has first to complete its lens lineup, it could take a while before the 35 MKII hits the market… and Fuji can change plans in any moment regarding this lens.) PLEASE NOTE: This rumor was not reported accurately by other sites (as petapixel and mirrorlessrumors). They quote FR, but say that the lens is “coming soon”. Which I never said. None of my sources ever told me a release date. In fact I said on May 5th: “I do not know when it will be launched nor which improvements we can expect, but, as you may guess, I’m restlessly working on it.”
– Faster AF for the 35mm MKII (This rumor is separated from the first 35MKII rumor, as it comes from another source and was posted in another article)
– X200 with 24MP, tilt screen, improved AF and wider detection area (Medium rating as I think that some, but not all the specs will be correct. The name has changed almost for sure to X100T).
– Button Upgrade for the early produced X-T1’s with mushy buttons.
– X-PRO2 available in 2015
– X-T1P release with 4K viewfinder in July [An upgrade (or special/limited edition) is possible, but not anytime soon. And, as soon as also drphotorumor says that this rumor is not correct, I’ll downgrade it to “very low rating”. As soon as/if the top trusted Japanese source and/or the good old source tells me that this is wrong, I’ll move it into the wrong rumors 2014 list]
– XF 90mm (same as the 35 MKII here, the release of this lens is everything else but imminent, so a lot can change. Plus: I do not have any confirmation until now about it from trusted sources or sources who were right in the past)
VERY LOW RATING
– Sigma X-mount coming at photokina
– Medium Format Fuji (there are several anonymous sources telling me that this rumor is wrong. But I will post an update only when a trusted source speaks. And if they say, as to expect, that it is not correct, I’ll move it into the “wrong rumors” list)
_ _ _
And now let’s check the 2014 rumors
NOTE: You will see for example some X-T1 rumors (and others) listed sepratately. This is due the fact that there was, for example, a source telling me of a tilt screen, while another told me at a different time about the price and so on.
It’s fair towards my sources not to put everything together in the same pot and simply say “X-T1”, as every rumor listed here comes from a different source and was posted in different articles and could have been right or wrong.
Obviously the same goes for the wrong rumors. I don’t simply say “18-135 announcement”, but shared all 3 wrong release dates separately, so that they result as 3 errors and not as one.
CORRECT RUMORS IN 2014
– XF 18-135 coming June 16th
– X-E2 deal
– X-E2 firmware update with X-T1 EVF refresh rate coming soon (correct, it came a few days later)
– TCL-X100 will be out end of May (correct. It’s available since then in Japan, now also in Europe. Still out of stock in USA)
– TCL-X100 will cost €250 and be a bit cheaper than the WCL (correct. AmazonDE sells the silver version for €249, while the discounted WCL still costs €269)
– TCL-X100 will cost $350/400 (correct, it costs $350 at Bhphot & Co)
– TCL-X100 coming second half of April (correct, announced April 22)
– Lightroom 5.4 coming next week
– February/March lens deals with confidential Fuji document
– With the next update, Adobe will support X-Trans film simulation
– X30 won’t come in February/March as rumored by digicame-info
– Image and size comparison of the 10-24 with a protype 18-135 (real image)
– XF 16-55 and 50-140 will be weather sealed
– X-T1 announcement in January 28th at 4:30 AM London Time
– Improved WiFi for the X-T1
– UHS-II SD card slot, but no double SD-card slot + 8fps with AF tracking (Fuji originally planed a dual SD-card slot. When the first X-T1 image leaked here on FR, it even looked like a dual SD-card slot, but the Japanese source said it has just a single SD-card slot)
– X-T1 will cost $1300 / €1200
– First images of a prototype X-T1
– Firmware update for Zeiss will add PDAF support
– Tilt screen for the X-T1
– The name of the weather sealed X will be X-T1
– X-T1 will have the best EVF on the market
– black X100S will have a retail price of about £1000, about the same as silver version (the final retail price in UK is RRP £1099.99 for the black and £1049 for the silver version, according to wexUK. But now both are sold cheaper).
– XF56mm announcement at January 6th
– black X100S will be the only “new” X-camera presented at CES
WRONG RUMORS IN 2014
– XF 18-135 announcement on Memorial Day (wrong, but, as Rico said in his first look, the announcement has been postponed at least two times, so actually the date could have been origianlly correct, but the source did not know about the updated release date. NOTE: I excluded the rumor of an 18-135 f/3.5-4.8, as this was a typo by Fujifilm at the CP+ (see this image), and I just reported about it.
– XF 18-135 will come in May (I’ve shared this in Janaury. But what was right in Janaury, is wrong now. As we know from Rico, the release has been pushed back at least two times. Announcements are a very tricky part of rumors).
– XF 18-135 in stores in February
– X-PRO2 with FF sensor (wrong, and corrected a few weeks later by the top trusted Japanese source)