Just yesterday here we reported how, according to BCN ranking, Fujifilm saw, in March, a huge 115% increase in sales in Japan, while all other camera manufacturers dropped up to 50%.
Now Japanese store MapCameras published their top selling camera rankings.
Keep in mind, though, that this is not representative for overall sales.
The most reliable data we probably have about the worldwide success of various camera brands, is this report from a Techno System Reports, a major marketing research company located in Japan that sells this data at a very high price, but somehow it went public at the Japanese site toyokeizai, and FujiRumors spotted it for you and shared it here.
The data of Techno System Reports reflects the mirrorless camera sales, and it shows that Fujifilm is on the third position, just a tiny margin behind Canon, and substantially behind Sony.
With that said, if big retailers share their sales data, it might not be representative for the overall market, but it can still give an approximate indication of what the market wants.
With that said, here are the top sellers at MapCameras for March 2020.
- Fujifilm X100V (black sold twice as much as silver)
- Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III
- Nikon Z50
- Sony A7III
- Fujifilm X-E3 (so successful, and yet it won’t get a successor. Fujifilm, that’s an error. Re-think you plans!)
- Sony A6600
- Fujifilm X-H1
- Canon IXY 200
- Sony A7rIV
- Ricoh GR III
- Fujifilm X-Pro3
It’s interesting to see that 8 cameras in the raking are not full frame (6 APS-C, 1 M43, 1 point and shoot). Sony alone represents full frame with the A7III and A7rIV. Also, there is not a single DSLR in the ranking.
The data might be limited you say, and that’s true. But if we look at the BCN ranking (reported at mirrorlessrumors), which takes data from about half the camera stores in Japan, we see that:
- 55.7% of the market is APS-C mirrorless
- 33.9% of the market is APS-C DSLR
- 6.4% of the market is full frame mirrorless
- 4% of the market is full frame DSLR
- Fujifilm X100V: BHphoto / AmazonUS / Adorama / Focuscamera
- Fujifilm X-Pro3: BHphoto / AmazonUS / Adorama / FocusCamera
- Fujifilm X-E3: BHphoto / Adorama / AmazonUS / FocusCamera
- Fujifilm X-H1: BHphoto / Adorama / AmazonUS / Focuscamera
Here is the top 10 for used gear:
- Sony α7III
- Sony α7II
- Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II
- Nikon D750
- Fujifilm X100F
- Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
- Nikon D610
- Sony α7RII
- Sony α7RIII
- Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
The used market is very strong for Sony, and very weak for Fujifilm. Why?
- Romantic vision: Fujifilm owners are happy with their cameras and don’t sell it that often like in other cases
- Realistic vision: Sony has a bigger market share. As a natural consequence, also used market share is bigger
Of course we know that the romantic version is the correct one ;).
Rumors and Discussions
- Fujifilm GFX User Group
- Fujifilm X-T User Group
- Fujifilm X-H User Group
- Fujifilm X-E User Group
- Fujifilm X-Pro User Group
- Fujifilm X100 line Group
Stay in the Loop