130,000! That’s the number of photographers who purchased the Fujifilm X100. As you know, the other X-series cameras are constantly improved via firmware update, getting faster autofocus, focus peaking and much more (read the “amazing evolution of the X-PRO1” article here), but X100 owners were not that lucky lately. Well, it seems that there is still hope…
At dpreview user Mistur said: “There will be an update for the X100 that will add approximately 50% of the 72 new features found in the X100s. While there has been no official announcement yet, I heard about it at a recent Fuji event for the X-M1.”
Now, take this rumor cum grano salis ;).
No FR-source could confirm these rumors until now, but I suppose that an update for the good old X100 is nothing like improbable. But will there be really so many improvements as suggested by Mistur on dpreview?
As a reminder, here is the list of the actually 70 improvements of the X100S over the X100 (read also this post here). Choose the top improvements you’d like to see on your X100.
thanks for giving me these hints, Lukas
Fuji X100: Amazon, Adorama, B&H, eBay
1. 16-megapixel sensor, up from 12-megapixel
2. X-Trans CMOS II sensor eliminates the need for an Optical Low Pass Filter.
3. The resolution has improved.
4. S/N ratio has improved by over 30%.
5. Phase detection pixels allow 0.08 sec Auto focus
6. 1080p 60fps/30fps full HD movie
7. Improved start-up time. From 2.0sec to 0.5sec
8. Continuous Shooting from 5fps up to 6fps
9. Number of consecutive frames while using Continuous Shooting from 10 frames to 31 frames
10. Improved Shooting Interval from 0.9 seconds down to 0.5 seconds.
11. EXR Processor II Lens Modulation Optimiser reduces diffraction phenomenon and peripheral aberrations.
12. EXR Processor II features X-Trans processing & new noise reduction.
13. Outputs 14bit RAW files.
14. EVF has a 2.35 mil dot LCD.
15. A new protective coating on the surface of the viewfinder window prevents fingerprints and smudging.
16. The handling and response on focus ring has been improved.
17. The shooting range of the OVF has been expanded from 80cm to infinity, to 50cm to infinity.
18. The world’s first Digital Split Image Manual Focus system. It uses the phase detection to show assist accurate focussing.
19. Focus Peak Highlight function helps you to check the focal plane.
20. In Movie Shooting, it is possible to choose 3 kinds of focusing modes MF/ AF-C and AF-S.
21. Expanded AF shooting range from 40cm – infinity (X100) to 21cm – infinity (X100S). (not on Macro mode)
22. Quick (Q) Button for speed and instant access to shooting menus.
23. Multi Tab Menu easy and fast navigation.
24. Two new Film simulation functions added: Pro Neg.Std and Pro Neg. Hi.
25. F-simulation bracketing function – one shot can produce 3 different Film Simulation effects which can be pre-set.
26. ‘Advanced filter’ mode has been installed as standard.
27. Multi Exposure function. While viewing your first shot on the EVF or LCD as an overlay, you can shoot a second shot.
28. Shutter Counter counts every 100 times the shutter closes. (This not only counts shots taken, but also when the camera is turned on/off and put into playback mode)
29. The shape of the viewfinder window has been changed to help prevent dust build-up.
30. Strap attachment rings are reinforced with an inside stainless-steel layer.
31. Improved the shape of the Viewfinder lever.
32. Improved the layout of the Focus lever (goes MF > AF-C > AF-S now)
33. Improved the operability of the MENU/OK button.
34. Improved shape of the Q button.(was previously the RAW button)
35. Improved the shape of the Front Ring.
36. Improved the torque of the exposure dial.
37. Improved layout of the shutter speed dial.
38. Improved the design of the Battery-chamber.
39. Improved the shape of the Hot shoe.
40. Max ISO from 3200 to 6400 (ISO AUTO Mode)
41. WB shift available in any mode.
42. Variation of aspect ratio 3:2, 16:9, and 1:1.
43. Improved live view with wide aperture in MF shooting
44. Ability to reset the shooting menu and set-up separately.
45. No formatting on the setting when updating firmware.
46. Change the default LCD information setting -> standard.
47. Reset function added for every custom mode.
48. Added information on all F-simulation modes.
49. Added functionality allowing ‘MARK FOR UPLOAD TO’ MyFinePix.com.
50. Supports Eye-fi memory cards.
51. When you hold down the Q-button in the Q-menu it’s a short-cut function to edit and save.
52. Ability to set ISO-AUTO with Base and Limit ISO and Min. shutter speed in ISO menu.
53. Change the location of AF area select button.
54. Change the sub-function of AF area select button.
55. Change the sub-function of AE button.
56. Add the sub-function of Fn button.
57. In low light scenes the LCD display is smooth.
58. After releasing the shutter button, the camera will immediately switch to playback mode.
59. After releasing the shutter button you can now immediately use some keys.
60. When holding shutter button, the LCD doesn’t freeze.
61. In Post-viewing after OVF shooting, the eye sensor works.
62. Supports external microphone.
63. Changed Flash settings including External Flash in right key.
64. The ND filter is now available in panorama mode.
65. Faster writing speed to SD memory cards.
66. Phase detection Autofocus now works during movie recording.
67. Added ‘ MF distance indicator ‘ in Display custom setting.
68. After half-pressing the shutter release in manual exposure mode, the live view displays the actual exposure level
69. Hot shoe shape was changed for easy connection to external flash.
70. The “S” badge has been added.
you can read the “Kaizen” posts 1, 2, 3 on FR