Cinema5D interviewed top Fujifilm manager Toshi Iida.
It’s a 20 minutes interview I urge you to watch, but if you are in a hurry, here is what the manager says in a quick and practical summary. You can find the full video below.
How COVID-19 Affects Fujifilm
DPReview published a list of 5 reason, why Fujifilm won’t make a full frame X100 camera.
- A larger sensor would add size and weight, mitigating a major X100 selling point
- Such a product would cost a lot to develop and manufacture
- The result would be a very expensive camera – reducing its potential audience
- A move to full-frame would annoy and worry existing loyal Fujifilm APS-C customers. Also, if Fujifilm announces any full frame camera, could look like a massive vote of no confidence in APS-C
- The risk of cannibalization within existing lineups is too great
And what about a medium format X100 then? DPR writes:
So might Fujifilm build a medium-format X100? There’s an argument to be made that it makes sense in a way that full-frame just doesn’t. Medium format would offer an increase in potential image quality over full-frame (albeit relatively modest – about 2/3EV), a significant leap in image quality over APS-C, it’s a major part of Fujifilm’s brand identity, and the larger format is a key differentiator for Fujifilm compared to competitive manufacturers.
Well, I won’t enter the argument about the “relatively modest” advantage of the Fujifilm GFX over full frame. This is a thesis DPR started pushing back in 2017, and FujiRumors comprehensively answered it in the article “DPReview Recommends 3 Full Frame Cameras Combined over 1 Fujifilm GFX“. Also, in the meantime something called Fujifilm GFX100 hit the market, with the newest sensor technology.
For the rest, the whole 5 reason list makes sense. Check out the full in-depth article at dpreview.
And one could also add one more ;)
- full frame offers a “relatively modest” advantage over APS-C, and also has a couple of disadvantages over APS-C, that you can read here
Popular photography industry insiders, claimed that APS-C is the actual sensor size sweet spot. Keep in mind, they said “sweet spot“, not “automatically the best tool for everybody“.
- Fujifilm X100V: BHphoto / AmazonUS / Adorama / Focuscamera
- Fujifilm X-T4: BHphoto / AmazonUS / Adorama / FocusCamera
Our Owners Groups
- Fujifilm GFX User Group
- Fujifilm X-T User Group
- Fujifilm X-H User Group
- Fujifilm X-E User Group
- Fujifilm X-Pro User Group
- Fujifilm X100 line Group
Our Facebook Pages
Venus Optics will soon launch the Laowa 15mm f/4.5 W-Dreamer shift lens for full frame cameras.
Now we have some sample images and we can give a few more details about how this full frame lens works on the Fujifilm GFX medium format system.
According to a beta tester, the Laowa 15mm f/4.5 W-Dreamer shift lens can be used on Fujifilm GFX, but the ability to shift is limited to ± 7.
Here is his the feedback the Chinese beta tester gave so far:
Although the image field of the shift lens is much larger than the ordinary 135 format lens, if the offset is too large (± 7 or more) on the 44×33 format, it will still have a dark angle
@ 老 frog lens 15-axis image field perfectly covers the 4433 sensor, visually there is 5mm up and down, and 3mm left and right shift amount
@ 老 frog lens 15-axis transfer to Fuji GFX 50R, the picture quality looks pretty good, even if it is an ordinary ultra-wide-angle lens, the perspective is very strong. Blessed 4433 users
Images and text via weibo.
Some readers were worried, that this could all just be plain wrong rumors, and so I asked trusted sources again, and in July 2019 they confirmed: pixel shift multishot will come for sure, “it’s just a matter of time“.
Finally, Fujifilm officially disclosed plans for Pixel Shift multishot on Fujifilm GFX100 at the latest Fujifilm X summit.
They also showed a sample image during the X Summit live streaming (go to minute 40:20), but those are taken with GFX100 in normal mode (and it’s already impressive).
I thought this deserves to be highlighted in a dedicated article, as this is certainly a significant improvement the Fujifilm GFX100 will get via firmware update.
Holy crop… 400 megapixel.
- Fujifilm GFX 100: B&H Photo, AmazonUS, Adorama, Focuscamera, CalumetDE, ParkcamerasUK, JessopsUK, PCHstore
The GFX Community