- X-H2S: BHphoto / AmazonUS / Adorama / Moment / Focuscamera
- XF150-600mm f/5.6-8: BHphoto / AmazonUS / Adorama / Moment / Focuscamera
- XF18-120mm f/4: BHphoto / AmazonUS / Adorama / Moment / Focuscamera
There is pattern in the Fujifilm world.
And the pattern is, that the sensor used on the X series, later on finds its way also on the GFX series.
The only difference? The sensor used in the GFX series comes from the same silicon wafer of the one used for the X series, it is just cut out 4 times bigger (and of course with different CFA array on top, meaning a Bayer vs an X-Trans one).
That’s a well known fact for FR-readers, but in case you are still hesitant about it, just read what Fujifilm Nordic told in March 2022, confirming that X and GFX share the same technology also in terms of sensor and processor. Hence, looking at the X series will give indications also on the future of the GFX series.
Well, so let’s look at it.
In terms of 5th generation sensors we have:
Assuming that Fujifilm will continue to share the same sensor platform on the X and GFX system, and considering the statements made by Fujifilm Nordic, people believe that Fujifilm will soon launch new GFX cameras using the sensor technology of the X-H2 cameras.
And if I’d sum up the most “rumored” options for the future of GFX, I’d nail it down to three cameras that people think could come in a not so distant future::
- Fujifilm GFX100S with 102 MP stacked BSI sensor
- Fujifilm GFX150S (or GFX160S) with 158 MP non-stacked BSI sensor
- Fujifilm GFX100S MKII (same sensor of current GFX100S but with new processor)
So is this really the case? Let’s talk about it.
FujiRumors – My Take on It
I mean, just take the same sensor on the Fujifilm X-H2S and Fujifilm X-H2, cut it out 4 times bigger area of the silicon wafer, put it in the GFX, and you have 2 new cameras!
Well, first off, nothing is easy.
Here in Forums (me included) we often believe that making this or that is just as easy as going to pick up the milk. However, there is always so much more to it and engineers have to deal with challenges most of us forum-guys are not even nearly aware of.
So let’s go over each of the three camera options speculated just briefly:
Fujifilm GFX100S with 102 MP stacked BSI sensor
I am sure that a massive GFX stacked sensor not only poses an economic challenge (stacked sensors drive up the price of cameras rather quickly), but surely also on the technical side Fujifilm would have to solve some issues that are easier to deal with on smaller sensors.
Fujifilm GFX150S (or GFX160S) with 158 MP non-stacked BSI sensor
And also a 150 MP GFX would pose some challenges, because a processor reading out a 40MP file is one thing, but for the same processor to process quickly a 150MP file is a whole other level. Also in this case, challenges will be there that have to be solved. For example, it might require an even more powerful processor, which also would push up the costs to make such a camera.
Fujifilm GFX100S MKII (same sensor of current GFX100S but with new processor)
This is surely the technically speaking easiest camera to make for Fujifilm. The one that would be rather fast to make with the least R&D involved.
Except for the GFX100SMKII, the GFX cameras listed above surely involve some challenges for Fujifilm. But everything can be figured out and therefore I won’t rule out the possibility of such GFX cameras to come one day.
What makes me less confident that such GFX are coming soon (including the GFX100S MKII) is the complete lack of rumors on my side. No rumors, whisper or hints in any shape or form.
This can mean two things:
- the new GFX cameras are Fuji’s best kept secret
- the new GFX cameras will not come in the near future
My thoughts on the two options above:
- it is possible, I certainly do not claim to always know everything. In fact, I am sure on the X summit on September we will learn quite some stuff about Fuji’s near future that I have not rumored and I have no idea about (same happened with the X summit in May)
- the Fujifilm GFX100S is selling so well, that Fujifilm is in no hurry to release a successor
My final word?
Well, for now my official position is that no Fujifilm GFX camera is coming in the foreseeable future.
But again, that’s not based on rumors, but rather on the complete lack of them, which makes my current position not really the most reliable ever.
If I’d have to give it a ranking, I’d say there is a 35% chance I am wrong, and a 65% chance I am right.
Only once our sources confirm to us that I am right with my speculation, or on the contrary, they tell us I am wrong, only then we will have a more solid indication on what is going to happen with the GFX in the near future.
What I can tell you is that will work on it and let you know as soon as I can.