Fujifilm VS Canon – Colors
Canon and Fujifilm both have excellent reputation, when it comes to color science.
Now Andrew compared Fujifilm with Canon RAW as well as JPEG colors.
What we can say ahead:
- with RAW files, it’s harder for people to have a clear preference
- with JPEG files, the differences are stronger
The JPEG comparison is more indicative for the so called “color science“, since with RAW files also the converter plays a role.
So, if you don’t have time right now to make the full blind test, I recommend you to go to minute 5:37 of the video and make the JPEG comparison only.
Before I disclose my results, I’d like to say that:
- I consider Canon colors excellent, and if I should switch brand tomorrow morning , just for the sake of colors, I’d go Canon!
*** TOP TIP ***
turn off “truetone display” on your Mac/iPhone
Since I love you so much, in order to give you a more objective feedback, I went through all the comments on the video, and tried to sum them up in a ranking.
It was not easy to summarize, because:
- sometimes people did not specify enough (example: “Canon is best”)
- In case of comments like “Canon is best“, I assigned a JPEG point to Canon, although I am not sure those, who made such comments, really made the test
- In case of Fujifilm, sometimes people did not specify if Classic Chrome or Provia. In which case, I assumed they mean standard Provia
- In case of close results (just 1 or 2 points of difference), I gave it a “same same”
Overall, reading the comments, I had the impression that those, who said to be Fujifilm shooters, had a very open minded and honest approach to the test. Bravo!