Almost 2 years ago, I wrote a comprehensive article comparing the virtues of Bayer vs X-Trans sensor, giving you reasons why Fujifilm should stick with X-Trans, and on the other hand telling you also why for other reasons Fujifilm should leave X-Trans for its APS-C sensors.
Attention: it’s a long article. So do not click this link, if you don’t like it when my articles are too long.
I stand by everything I said back then.
Of course the debate is not ending. Hence, Andrew did what probably is the best thing to do, to evaluate which sensor is better: a blind test.
200+ people commented on his video, and since people do not like long articles, I will leave it to you to read them all, take paper and pen, and note all the results.
Nah… you know what?
I’ll do it for you. I love it when I simplify your life and save you some time.
So, I’ve checked out all the comments, and marked the results on a paper.
There were some (not many) cases, where people didn’t have a clear preference and said that both are very good.
In most cases, people had a rather clear preference.
Sometimes people got more or less equal results between 2 cameras, in which case I gave a point to each camera.
The cameras tested are:
And here are the results people shared in the comments:
- X-T100 – 7% preferences
- X-A5 – 5% preferences
- X-T3 – 43,5% preferences
- X-T20 – 44,5% preferences
If we talk X-Trans vs Bayer:
- X-Trans: 88%
- Bayer: 12%
And what did people say, why they preferred X-Trans more?
- less noise
- quality of noise is better
- better colors
- better microcontrast
- looks more natural
- more dynamic range
Now go ahead, check out Andrew’s video below, and make the test by yourself. And if you want, here are some articles, that might interest you:
- read here – High ISO Sony A7II Vs. Fuji X-Pro2: “Even at ISO 25,600 difference less than half stop. X-Pro2 better color fidelity. Well done, Fuji!”
- read here – Fujifilm X-Trans Vs. Bayer: Pros and Cons of Going Bayer or Sticking with X-Trans Sensor
- read here – DPR says that 16MP X-Trans Sensor has an effective resolution that “is not much lower than 24MP Bayer”
- Join our User Groups: Fujifilm X-T, GFX, X-H, X-Pro, X-E and X100 line
- Top Facebook Pages: Fujifilm X-T, Fujifilm X-H and Fujifilm GFX