Tony Northrup Fujifilm GFX 50R (not Error-Free) Review: “Fujifilm GFX 100 Will Fix All Our Concerns”
Tony Northrup took a Fujifilm GFX 50R for his Barcelona trip and now published a review about it (video above).
I will sum it up for you below, but I would quickly like to correct a few errors he made.
He says the GFX sensor surface area is 30% bigger than Full Frame, but it is actually 70% bigger. This is not correct, and Tony makes the MF sensor sound smaller than it really is.
He complaints that there is only one lens with OIS, but there are actually 3 lenses with OIS, the GF 250mm F4, GF 120mmF4 and GF 100-200mm f/5.6.
Since we like percentages, basically Tony claims that about 12% of all GF lenses have OIS, when reality is that almost 40% have OIS.
Rather big errors, I hope Tony will correct soon, and I wonder how they could even slip into his review in the first place.
For the rest, you can read his findings below.
- not a sports camera, not good at tracking
- not a video camera
- great landscape camera, but Fuji needs more lenses, and more astrophotography lenses
- decent walk around camera
- no huge difference in IQ compared to FF
- soon GFX 100 will be here with IBIS, and should address all concerns they have with GFX 50R
- corner placement of viewfinder is great
- does not give the joy, that Fujifilm X-T3 gives him
- small flat buttons
- grip to small for big medium format lenses
- screen is small compared to overall size of camera
- design of Hasselblad X1D is better
- eye detection AF is not accurate
- sensor has 30% more surface area
- if you crop to standard 35mm aspect ration, the surface area advantage is almost gone as well as image quality difference
- Cropping 8×10 gives about 50% more surface area
- he complaints that it has not IBIS and only 1 lens has OIS
- Fujifilm GFX has much better lenses than Hasselblad X1D
- Sony A7rIII is better overall camera
- Fujifilm GFX 50R is a specialized camera
- Fujifilm GFX 50R (save $500): BHphoto, Adorama, AmazonUS, FocusCamera
- GFX 50R + GF63mm (save $1,000): AmazonUS, BHphoto, Adorama, FocusCamera
- GFX 50R + GF45mm (save $1,000): AmazonUS, BHphoto, Adorama, FocusCamera
- GFX 50R + GF32-64mm (save $1,000): AmazonUS, BHphoto, Adorama, FocusCamera
G Mount Lenses
- GF 23mm F4 (save $500): BHphoto, AmazonUS, Adorama
- GF 45mmF2.8 (save $500): BHphoto, Adorama, AmazonUS
- GF 63mmF2.8 (save $500): BHphoto, Adorama, AmazonUS
- GF 110mm F2 (save $500): BHphoto, AmazonUS, Adorama
- GF 120mmF4 (save $500): BHphoto, Adorama, AmazonUS
- GF 250mm F4 (save $500): BHphoto, Adorama, AmazonUS
- GF 32-64mmF4 (save $500): BHphoto, Adorama, AmazonUS
- GF 100-200mm f/5.6 (save $500): BHphoto, AmazonUS, Adorama