Fujifilm X-T2 vs Nikon D500 Epic Shootout :: Fujifilm X-T2 Wins Overall… and The Fuji Colors Rock Again (at Least For Me)
Fujifilm X-T2 or Nikon D500: which one should you buy? That’s the question Michael The Maven tried to answer in this video (30 Minutes)
As usual, a summary for fellow FR-readers, who have no time to go through the entire video right now:
(AF + Buffer)
- Side to side action: Fujifilm X-T2 99% hit rate / Nikon D500 87% hit rate
- Forward action: Fujifilm X-T2 78% / Nikon D500 89%
- Backlight action: Fujfilm X-T2 91% / Nikon D500 77%
- TOTAL: X-T2 89% hit rate Vs. Nikon D500 84% hit rate
CONCLUSION: In terms of accuracy only, the X-T2 is one of the best sports cameras ever tested.
- D500 = 200 RAW’s at 10fps Vs. X-T2 = 27 RAW’s at 11 fps (but tested with UHS-I card, and not the faster UHS-II cards)
- D500 = 202 JPEG’s’s at 10fps Vs. X-T2 = 121 RAW’s at 11 fps (but tested with UHS-I card, and not the faster UHS-II cards)
WINNER: X-T2 is lighter and slightly more accurate AF, but the Nikon D500 is the winner, because of the incredible buffer, the ergonomics and the edge to edge cross type focussing squares.
LIVE TRACKING – VIDEO
- Nikon D500 has a touch screen. The X-T2 has eye detection, but in video it does not really work, and in stills just half the time (this calls for a Kaizen update, Fuji ;) ).
- Much smoother continuous focussing during video for the X-T2
WINNER: Fujfilm X-T2
LOW LIGHT FOCUSSING
- Average score for Nikon D500 = 49 seconds / Fujiflm X-T2 = 36 seconds (measured at 2 targets, one at 6.0EV and one at -2.0EV, focussing back and forth 30 times)
WINNER: For low light focussing without AF assist lamp, the winner is the Fujfilm X-T2
WINNER: X-T2 images are consistently sharper across the entire ISO range.
- Less crop for the X-T2 in 4K
- better clarity and sharpness on X-T2
- better low light performance on X-T2
- Rolling Shutter: very impressive performance for the X-T2
- Moire: D500 is the winner
WINNER: Fujifilm X-T2
WINNER: Both super-impressive high ISO, similar to the brand new Full Frame Canon 5DM4!
PORTRAITS – COLORS
(Note: the Fuji slightly underexposes, so the exposure was adjusted to give closer comparison)
Take pencil and paper! The reviewer will show you 13 images and you can pick up the one you prefer.
I did the test and noted everything on a word document, and it turns out that in 70% of the cases I prefered the colors & look of the Fujiflm X-T2. But wasn’t Nikon supposed to be better for portraits? ;) I guess it all comes down to personal preferences, or I’m simply used to the amazing X-Trans look. All I can tell you is that I genuinely made the test, and these are my honest results. Let me know your results in the comments.
Anyway, I think also the tester prefered the X-T2, since at the end of the video he says: “if you prefered the X-T2 in the portrait test, this might be due to the X-Trans sensor”.
WINNER (in my case): Fujiflm X-T2
- X-Trans: more film like look. Delivers different and special images! But the RAW conversion results depend on the RAW processor you use.
- Sharpness: if you are sharpness freak, get the X-T2
- If you haven’t tried the Fuji X-T2, I would strongly recommend it. I think Sony is going to have its hands full competing with Fuji!
The reviewer says that, if he only could pick up one, he would take…. the Fujifilm X-T2 :)
Fujifilm X-T2: USA: BHphoto / AmazonUS / Adorama / CANADA: AmazonCA / EUROPE: AmazonDE / Calumentphoto DE / AmazonUK / AmazonITA / AmazonFR / AmazonESP / PCHstore / WexUK / AUSTRALIA: CameraPro