Fujifilm Scrapped the Ultimate X Series Camera… Focus on Fujifilm X-T2S (IBIS Camera)
Follow The Rumor Storm :)
My fellow Fuji X and G shooters, get ready for the rumor storm that will bring us right to the big Fuji announcements and ultimate Live Blogging of September 7.
And in order not to miss anything, feel free to:
- Allow Push Notifications: You can use the little red “ring icon” on the bottom right of your browser to allow push notifications and also to manage your subscription
- Join FR on Facebook – click here to join 44,000+ fellow X-fans already joined FR on facebook. The discussion in the comments there are just as lively as here on the blog
- Join FR on Twitter – click here One of the best ways to scroll through the whirlwind of rumors.
- RSS-Feed – click here
- Newsletter: Subscribe to the newsletter to get a weekly summary once a week (subscription box at the bottom)
Good Bye Ultimate X
Back in spring 2017, we started hearing the first rumors about the ultimate Fujifilm X, an APS-C X-Trans camera based on X-T design, the best Fuji X for videos, and that could cost around $,3,000 (rumors of March 3, March 14 and April 14)
But suddenly, a few months later, in summer 2017, we also started hearing of the Fujifilm X-T2S, the successor if the X-T2, which will have IBIS (rumors of July 12, July 17 and July 24)
The big question I got from the community was: is the Fujifilm X-T2S the ultimate X-series camera we rumored back in spring, or is Fujifilm working on both, the X-T2S and the ultimate X?
The answer: the X-T2S is not the rumored ultimate X.
So what about the ultimate X-series camera?
The answer: it has been scrapped!
*** Follow our Fujifilm X-T2S (IBIS) facebook group ***
*** Follow our Allrounder X-T Users facebook group ***
Is the X-T2s a “light” version of the Ultimate X?
Now, to avoid FR-haters’ shitstorms, I could simply tell you guys a lie and say “Yes, the X-T2S with IBIS is exactly the ultimate X-series camera I told you back in spring“.
But I’m not that kind of person.
Hence I will now tell you, that the ultimate X-series camera was a different project of Fujifilm.
Fujifilm worked on the ultimate X, discussed about the features and at a certain stage they were confident to make it (so I shared the rumors)… but at the end the scratched it, and they are now focussing on a different project, the Fujifilm X-T2S.
Some of you might consider the X-T2S a “light” version of the ultimate X, and you might not be too far off with that. But at the end I think that the differences are too big, to consider the X-T2S an “ultimate X light”.
X-T2S or Ultimate X?
When I’ve shared the very first ultimate X rumors, I noticed that the FR-community reacted sceptical to it, especially due to the high rumored price of $3,000.
And since we know that Fujifilm not only reads us, but that sometimes we can influence their decisions*, I can’t exclude, that the initial very sceptic reaction many of you guys manifested here on FujiRumors, might have discouraged Fujifilm to continue with this project.
On the other hand, it seems to me that your initial feedback to the Fujifilm X-T2S with IBIS, was much more positive. But that’s just my impression… feel free to discuss about it in the comments.
Welcome to the Fuji World
I know that after years of following the fantastic world of Fujifilm, 99,9% you guys know better than me that Fujifilm changes plans very often.
For example, Fujifilm was developing the X-Pro1s, and I shared rumors about it. But they dropped plans, even though they already had working prototypes of it (and Fujifilm even displayed the X-Pro1s at the X-Pro2 announcement)
And since with Fujifilm nothing is impossible, even products they scratched can find their way back later on. For example, I remind you how I shared the first X70 rumors in September 2013, but Fujifilm dropped plans on it shortly after. They waited a couple of years and decided to revive plans and launch the X70 on January 2016 (with exactly the same specs we rumored 3 years earlier).
So I personally wouldn’t be surprised if one day, the ultimate X will be again in development. But to be clear, right now, Fujifilm plans no longer to make it.
that’s it from my side for now… have a GREAT day, :)
Facebook, RSS-feed and Twitter
* It was your feedback and negative poll results, that killed the monochrome X-Pro1 and your positive pressure that revived the X-E3 plans and made Fujifilm say here “we are aware of the many X-E3 request”. The feedback you give in polls makes it to internal Fujifilm meetings with the Press and even Fujifilm top manager Toshihisa Iida “Loves” FujiRumors. Fujifilm simply can’t ignore a community that is able to drop 11,000 votes in a single poll within 2 days…. and more