Fujifilm officially launced the zoom cinema lenses “Premista” Series, the FUJINON Premista 28-100mmT2.9 and the FUJINON Prermista80-250mmT2.9-3.5.
- Fujinon Premista 28-100mm T2.9: $38,800 USD coming summer 2019
- Fujinon Premista 80-250mm T2.9-3.5: $39,800 USD coming before the end of 2019
These are PL mount lenses.
Fujifilm introduces the zoom cinema lenses “Premista” Series
- Maximizing the benefits of large format sensors* used in an increasing number of cinema cameras
- Facilitating high-quality video production with outstanding resolution, beautiful bokeh, and rich gradation with HDR (high dynamic range)
- Launching the standard zoom lens “FUJINON Premista28-100mmT2.9” with the focal length range of 28-100mm as the first product in the Series
Tokyo, April 3, 2019 — FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Kenji Sukeno) introduces the zoom cinema lenses “Premista” Series, which support large-format sensors* and deliver outstanding high resolution, beautiful bokeh and rich gradation with HDR (high dynamic range) . The Premista Series can bring out the maximum capability of large format sensors, which are increasingly being adopted into cinema camera, to provide robust support for high-quality video production.
In the first launch from this Series, Fujifilm releases the standard zoom lens “FUJINON Premista28-100mmT2.9” (Premista28-100mm) with the focal length range of 28-100mm in August 2019. The Series’ lineup will expand its focal length coverage to 28-250mm by the end of 2019 with the launch of the “FUJION Premista80-250mmT2.9-T3.5” (Premista80-250mm) telephoto zoom lens with the focal length range of 80-250mm.
At the sites of high-quality video production such as Hollywood, there is an increasing demand for filming equipment capable of delivering beautiful bokeh and rich gradation with HDR. Accordingly, many cinematographers have been adopting cinema cameras equipped with a large format sensor. While a variety of prime lenses compatible with the large format sensors are already available in the market, there is a growing demand for high-performance zoom lenses that can accommodate a wide range of scenes and provide excellent operability.
New Premista Series offers a lineup of zoom cinema lenses that support a large format sensor. Featuring large-diameter aspherical lens elements and newly-developed focusing / zooming system, the lenses achieve an astonishing level of edge-to-edge resolution. The use of 13-blade iris design and shallow depth-of-field which is a characteristic of large format sensors, produces natural and beautiful bokeh to faithfully capture the subject’s texture, three-dimensional definition and even a sense of atmosphere at the site. Furthermore, the Series applies Fujifilm’s unique optical design to minimize ghosts and flares, thereby creating rich gradation with HDR. Mechanical design built with Fujifilm’s simulation technology, nurtured over many years, is coupled with production technology that can assemble parts processed in the order of microns at high precision, to produce a compact and lightweight body with advanced robustness, withstanding harsh filming conditions in professional video production. In addition, the focus ring can be rotated as much as 280 degrees, and delivers perfect operability with a smooth torque when rotated to enable precise focusing.
In the first launch from this Series, in August 2019, Fujifilm releases the standard zoom lens Premista28-100mm that gives the T-stop value of 2.9** across its focal length range of 28-100mm. This lens caters to filming in a variety of situations, covering the focal lengths of six most-frequently-used prime lenses***. The telephoto zoom lens Premista80-250mm with the focal length range of 80-250mm at the T-value range of 2.9-3.5 will join the lineup by the end of 2019, further broadening filming versatility by covering the useful range of 28-250mm in focal lengths.
Fujifilm has led the cinema industry since its foundation in 1934 to achieve domestic production of photographic and motion picture films. Since 2000, the company has worked on developing lenses for cinema cameras. Its products have received high acclaim at the frontline of movie, TV commercial and TV drama production around the world for their outstanding image quality. The development of high-performance zoom cinema lenses and their contribution to enhancing video image quality have been recognized in 2017 when Fujifilm was given the Emmy Award by the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. The new Premista Series will complement the existing “HK / ZK / XK / MK Series” of lenses to address diverse needs in video production.
- * The large format refers to image sensors that measure 43.2-46.3mm diagonally. They are bigger than the Super 35mm sensor, which is a standard format in cinema cameras.
- ** T-stop value is an index that indicates brightness of a lens based on its F-stop value and transmission rate. The smaller the value, the greater amount of light the lens transmits.
- *** Six prime cinema lenses with the focal lengths of 29mm, 35mm, 40mm, 65mm, 85mm and 100mm, compatible with large-format sensors.
1. Product name and release date
- (1) Product name : FUJINON Premista 28-100mmT2.9
- Release date : August 2019
- (2) Product name : FUJINON Premista 80-250mmT2.9-3.5 (under development)
- Release date : By the end of 2019
2. Main features of the Premista Series
(1) Premista is a series of zoom cinema lenses that support large format sensors and delivers outstanding resolution, beautiful bokeh and rich gradation with high dynamic range.
- These zoom cinema lens, support large format sensors, and cater to a variety of filming situations with advanced operability without having to change lenses.Premista28-100mm:
Standard zoom lens that offers the fast T-stop value of 2.9 across its focal length range of 28-100mm
Telephoto zoom lens with the T-stop range of 2.9-3.5 and focal length range of 80-250mm
- The Series combines large-diameter aspherical lens elements, processed to ultimate precision, with the newly-developed focusing / zooming system to achieve low distortion*4 and color aberration. The lenses have the ability to achieve an astonishing level of edge-to-edge resolution, regardless of the distance from the subject or zoom position, delivering footage of impressive sharpness and clarity.
- This is the first FUJINON cinema lens series to adopt a 13-blade iris design to form a near-perfect circle. When combined with large format sensors’ characteristically shallow depth-of-field, the lenses create a natural and beautiful bokeh.
- Fujifilm’s unique optical design effectively mitigates ghosts and flares to produce video of rich gradation with high dynamic range.
- The Premista lenses produce video in natural color tones, popular with the HK / ZK / XK / MK Series of cinema lenses. Consistency in color design with the current lineup of lenses simplifies color grading*5, required when using multiple lenses.
- *4 Distortion refers to contraction and expansion that occurs at edges of an image formed through the lens.
- *5 Color grading refers to the process of color correction in movie editing.
(2) Advanced robustness in a compact and lightweight design
- Mechanical design built with Fujifilm’s simulation technology, nurtured over many years, is coupled with production technology that can assemble parts processed in the order of microns at high precision, to produce a compact and lightweight body with advanced robustness, withstanding harsh filming conditions in professional video production.
(3) Excellent operability
- The focus ring can be rotated as much as 280 degrees, and gives a sensation of smooth torque when rotated to enable precise focusing.
- The gear pitch*6 for the operation rings for focusing, zooming and iris is 0.8M (module), the same as existing FUJINON cinema lenses. The lenses can also be used with standard peripheral accessories, essential for video production, such as Follow Focus for accurate and smooth focusing and remote lens control system for remotely operating rings.
- Fluorescent paint is applied to index marks on the focus, zoom and iris rings so that these settings can be clearly checked even at night or in a dark room. The focus index can be also displayed in feet or meters.
- The lenses feature a Flange Focal Distance adjustment function*7, allowing users to adjust the flange focal distance by simply rotating a ring on the lens barrel to correct a shift in the flange focal distance caused by rapid temperature changes at a shooting site. This function achieves optimum camera and lens matching, thereby bringing out the lenses’ full optical performance.
- *6 Distance between gear teeth
- *7 Lens’s image-forming plane can be adjusted to the optimum position according to each camera’s flange focal distance (distance from lens mounting reference plane to sensor)
(4) The Premista Series supports “ZEISS eXtended Data”*8
- Premista lenses support the “ZEISS eXtended Data”, developed by Carl Zeiss in compliance with the “/i® Technology*9” communications standard. It can not only record lens metadata (focus, zoom and iris settings) for filmed footage but also correct lens distortion and peripheral illumination*10.
- *8 The support is to be introduced with firmware update.
- *9 /i is a trademark or registered trademark of Cooke Optics Limited.
- *10 Compatible devices are required depending on which camera you use.
3. Main specifications of the Premista Series