While probably many of you were sleeping, Fujifilm made two things happen:
- new firmware for X-T200 and X-A7 that allows to use those camera as webcam without need of Fujifilm X webcam software
- announcement that Fujifilm X Webcam software will be Mac compatible starting from mid-July
Now the Fuji Guys have released a follow up video to the new X-T200 and X-A7 webcam feature, that you can see down below.
Here is what they say about the new X-A7/X-T200 webcam feature (not to mistake with Fujifilm X webcam software).
- supports a universal USB video format, meaning it’s a true plug-and-play
- change only one setting in camera to make it work (Connection Settings → USB mode → USB webcam)
- connect camera and it automatically gets detected by your computer
- works for Windows or Mac
- you can’t use film simulation or other video parameters
- no control over autofocus, it is automatically set to continuous with face and eye detection enabled
- works also with OBS
- no power provided to camera while connected to computer
- fully charged battery gives you 2 hours of usage
- best use a battery coupler
- AF assist lamp on the front of the camera will turn on when battery power is low
- no audio when camera is connected to computer. Best pick up a high quality microphone
- max. 720p @ 30p
Down below you can read what is different by using Fujifilm X Webcam compared to the X-A7/X-T200 solution described above.
- You must install the Fujifilm X webcam software in order to use your X/GFX camera as a webcam
- more settings to change in camera: set drive dial to “S”, in connection settings set USB-AUTO, set Pre-AF ON for focus, recommended setting is Single AF
- you can enable face/eye detection if you want (but also keep it disabled)
- you can select film simulation
- video quality: XGA (1024 x 768)
- does not support OBS (but we reported about a workaround)
So, Fujifilm X Webcam gives you still more control, but given how reliable Fuji’s eye autofocus has become (and I talk from experience, as I used it a lot for my video-online lessons), I would feel totally confident to go full auto.
However, having a webcam that outputs ETERNA and higher qualiy video is great.
So, between the two, I’d still go with Fujifilm X webcam, and make the few extra setting changes in camera.
But hey, let me know what you guys prefer by voting the survey down below:
- Join our User Groups: Fujifilm X-T, GFX, X-H, X-Pro, X-E and X100 line
- Top Facebook Pages: Fujifilm X-T, Fujifilm X-H and Fujifilm GFX