Steelsring is launching the Steelsring EF/GFX PRO Edition smart autofocus adapter. In addition to the multifunctional button there is also an aperture ring with A/C switch like we find it on Fujinon GF lenses.
FUJI Lens Mode Switch Simulation
FUJIFILM GF lens support mode C (Aperture priority by camera command dial) , mode A (Programming auto mode by camera) and Aperture dial mode.
For Steelsring EF/GF I/II/III adapters, with the help of short click of adapter’s MFB (multi-function button), it is able to simulate the mode switch simulation between C and A modes. initial mode simulation is mode C.
For PRO edition, with the add-on control ring in aperture body, it is possible to simulate an aperture dial too, the mode will cycle in C->A->Aperture Dial for PRO edition via short click of MFB, initial mode simulation for PRO edition is aperture dial instead of C for I/II/III adapters.
Lens mode switch simulation works always, is not relevant to adapter’s working mode as Adapter or GF lens simulation.
About MFB（multi-function button)
- Activate firmware update mode for I/II/III and PRO adapters.
Press and hold MFB, then connect to PC/MAC via USB cable, then release the button will enable adapter enter firmware update mode.
- When mounted on camera body with lens combination, after camera power on normally
- Short click MFB once, will start lens mode switch between C and A for I/II/III adapter, or C->A->Aperture dial for PRO adapter.
- Press and hold MFB for 5 secs or longer, then release MFB, will trigger adapter’s mode switch between Adapter mode and GF lens simulation mode, camera body will reboot EF/GFX adapter to be effective immediately.
About Manual Focus Ring (PRO edition only, not available for I/II/III adapters)
When lens mode switch simulation is in C or A mode, aperture control is done via camera body dial, then we use the control ring to simulate a manual focus ring, it is more like power focusing of curtain EF lenses. To be effective, lens body AF/MF mode switch must be set to AF, and camera body focus mode dial set to MF. Turning control ring, it will activate camera’s MF assistant automatically.
About Automatic Focus Bracketing (PRO edition only, not available for I/II/III adapters)
When PRO adapter’s control ring can function as manual focus ring, it is able to set the begin and end positions of auto focusing bracketing depth now. So before entering Auto Focusing bracketing setting in camera body menus, please make sure adapter’s lens mode switch simulation is in C or A mode, and set Lens body AF/MF mode to AF, then turn the adapter’s control ring to set the position accordingly. Please do not turn lens body’s manual focus ring, it is useless because lens won’t report any distance change after focusing position changed, but FUJI’s algorithm need that value.
After finishing automatic focus bracketing positioning setting, control ring can be set to aperture dial simulation again.
- Fujifilm GFX100S: BHphoto / AmazonUS / Adorama / Focuscamera / Moment
- Fujifilm GFX 50S II: BHphoto / AmazonUS / Adorama / Focuscamera / Moment
- Fujifilm GFX 100: BHPhoto / AmazonUS / Adorama
- Fujifilm GFX 50R: BHphoto / Adorama / AmazonUS
- Fujifilm GFX 50S: BHphoto / AmazonUS / Adorama
You can read more at the Steelsring page here.
RUMOR, NEWS and COMMUNITY