Down below are his findings, but keep in mind: the video was filmed BEFORE the important XF50mmF1.0 firmware update.
- XF50mmf/1.0 has faster autofocus
- he prefers to be very light during his wedding shoots using very small lenses (he uses the Fujicron f/2 lenses a lot), and the XF50mmF1.0 is a bit too heavy
- he prefers the 50mm focal length over the 56mm
- XF50mmF1.0 has more contrast and is way sharper than the 56mm
Especially considering the current huge deal on XF56mmF1.2 lenses, the 56mmF1.2 is great value for money (a lens I own and love). But from all I could see so far, if you do not mind the extra weight and size, the Fujinon XF50mmF1.0 is the way to go.
Fujifilm really put magic into that lens, a magic best described by Jonas Rask here, when he says:
My all time favorite lens from Fujifilm is the XF35mm f/1.4R – In my eyes it’s the perfect lens. There have been many wordings about that lens, and one thing that keeps on popping up in discussions is that it has a certain something that no-one seem to able to define. It always end up being labeled as “magic” which is silly.
The reason for its look is found in the optical design, a design that Fujinon decided to continue into the XF50mm f/1R WR. And that makes the images coming from this lens extremely appealing to those who like the look of the XF35mm f/1.4.
The images coming from XF50mm f/1 R WR has those exact same undefinable traits that makes me love my XF35mm f/1.4 so much. The sharpness that is sharp, yet not overly sharp. A flattering kind of sharpness that seems more rounded, organic and less digital/clinical. A bokeh rendering that is soft, delicious and very calming to the eye, and a color reproduction that gives a very lovely depth to especially warm color tones.
In other words, the XF50mm F/1 R WR is the portrait lens version of the XF35mm f/1.4 R!
Fujifilm has crafted a massive winner, and initial sales figures seems to confirm it!
- XF50mmF1.0 in USA: BHphoto, AmazonUS, Adorama, Focuscamera
- XF50mmF1.0 in EU: AmazonDE, CalumetDE, WexUK, ParkcamerasUK, JessopsUK, AmazonUK, PCHstore
- XF 56mmF1.2 (save $150): BHphoto, AmazonUS, Adorama, Focuscamera