In all these years, the Sigma CEO Kazuto Yamaki-san has explained that they wanted to make X mount lenses, but they can’t, as Fujifilm protected its mount by not disclosing the protocols.
Well, Fujifilm finally understood that it was a massive mistake, and in 2020 they opened their mount.
And now, after almost a year of teasers, the Sigma CEO finally made a statement that can make Fujifilm Shooters optimistic. In fact, in an interview with CineD, he said:
We are aware of the demand for Sigma lenses for Fujifilm cameras. We are now thinking about how we can satisfy Fujifilm customers
In my ears this sounds like surely lenses will come, but Sigma is thinking about which lenses Fujifilm shooters could really want and hence satisfy them. And if my sources are correct, the decision has already been done, as the first Sigma AF X mount lenses should be announced in 2021.
And here are some other key points of the interview:
- Sigma was founded 60 years ago by the father of the current CEO
- The current CEO does not want to make Sigma as big as possible. He is more hungry for quality. So his focus is on quality products
- Sigma always tries to make lenses as small as possible, but so far they don’t offer pancake lenses
- Sigma still can’t find a way to make pancake lenses with acceptable quality [Note: This is why i LOVE my Fujinon XF27mm f/2.8 R WR, as it is an incredibly good lens for being that small. Trust me guys, it’s optically amazing and ultra compact. It lives glued on my X-E3.]
- Sigma does not stop exploring on how to achieve good quality pancake lenses
- it’s easier to make a perfect lens, than a lens with character [Note: which is why I LOVE my good old XF35mmF1.4 R – see it in action here in Barcelona]
- Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM
- Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 DC HSM
- Sigma 56mm f/1.4 DC DN Contemporary
- Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN Contemporary
- Sigma 35mm f/1.2 DG DN Art
- Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM
- Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM
- Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC DN Contemporary
- Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM
- Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art
One more thing:
Do you remember when back in 2018 our sources told us that Sigma is waiting for Fujifilm camera sales to increase by 20% before they making any lenses for the Fujifilm system? Well, it looks like Fujifilm was able to achieve that goal. And now Sigma is even more motivated to make money with us. ;)
We Have It!
- Fujifilm X Mount Third Party Autofocus Lenses Group (Tamron included)