Fujifilm has announced a a new major firmware update for the Fujifilm GFX100 to come in June 2021. Discover down below what firmware 4.00 will bring for Fujifilm GFX100.
Firmware 4.00 Details
GFX series’ flagship model continues to evolve
To our customers
TOKYO, April 22, 2021 – FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Kenji Sukeno) is pleased to release the latest firmware update for the “FUJIFILM GFX100” (GFX100) in June 2021.
The GFX100 is a flagship model of the GFX series of mirrorless digital cameras, boasting an impressive 102 megapixel resolution with the use of a large format sensor*1 about 70% larger than the 35mm full-frame sensor, and offering advanced expandability with in-body image stabilization (IBIS) that provides up to 5.5-stop advantage and a detachable EVF. The up-coming firmware upgrade will transform it into a completely new camera with a multitude of additional functions and operational enhancements, delivering autofocus (AF) performance equivalent to that of the latest model with cutting-edge technology, “FUJIFILM GFX100S” (GFX100S).
*1 Image sensor measuring 55mm diagonally (43.3mm x 32.9mm) to provide the area approx. 1.7 times that of a 35mm full-frame sensor
1. Improved autofocus performance to the same level as “GFX100S”
The new firmware updates the camera’s autofocus algorithm to the latest version to boost AF speed and Face/Eye-detection performance, enhancing AF accuracy even in portrait photography that involves subject movements. The ability to track a moving subject will also be improved, making it possible to maintain an accurate focus on a subject that is moving away from the camera.
2. Coordinated control of in-body and optical image stabilization mechanisms
The new firmware enables coordinated control of the camera’s in-body image stabilization (IBIS) and a lens’s optical image stabilization (OIS). Image stabilization is applied with optimum correction based on the two mechanisms’ acceleration, frequency detected by gyro sensors and the amount of camera shakes to minimize motion blur even when shooting handheld. This enhances the image stabilization function of GF lenses featuring OIS such as FUJINON Lens GF120mmF4 R LM OIS WR Macro or the FUJINON Lens GF45-100mmF4 R LM OIS WR with additional 0.5-stop.
3. Addition of the Film Simulation “Nostalgic Neg.”
The new firmware adds the Film Simulation “Nostalgic Neg.,” characterized by colors and tones reminiscent of the “America New Color,” which emerged in the 1970s to advocate the potential of color expressions to the world and established color photography as the mainstream style for photographic fine arts. The style combines “soft tonality” with “high saturation” at the same time and applies warm amber to highlights to soften the look while maintaining fine details and pop colors in shadows for lyrical looks.
4. Other added functions and operational improvements
- The level of “clarity” can be set in the range from -5 to +5.
The “tone curve” can be adjusted in the increment of 0.5 stop for both highlights and shadows.
- The “focus limiter” function is added to specify any focusing range. Choose the default focusing distance or select it from the specified range.
- Pictures can be enlarged in the magnification of 1x, 2x, 4x or 8x in playback. There is also an option to select the magnification used in the previous playback (from center).
- Function button can be assigned to switch “shooting mode” between P, S, A and M modes.
- The front and rear command dials can be set to rotate in a reverse direction.
- The number of items in the Q menu can be selected from 4, 8, 12 or 16 for both stills and video. The items to display in the Q menu are customizable.
- The Q button can be assigned as a function button.
- The camera stays ON even when an SD card is removed.
- Electronic image stabilization is available while shooting video.
- It corrects camera shake that occurs when shooting video handheld. (1.1x crop when this mode is turned on)
- Live View can be enlarged even while shooting video.
- The Focus Check Lock can now also be set to ON/OFF to maintain focus check or not when starting to shoot video.
- Video recorded in the SD card can be backed up to the SD card in another card slot.
- The elapsed video recording time can be displayed on the LCD for checking.
- The AF area size can be changed while shooting video.
- Video files recorded with F-log can be played back in conversion equivalent to BT.709.
- Added White Balance / ISO metadata to RAW footage, output to Atomos Ninja V HDR Monitor Recorder via HDMI. The footage is recorded as Apple ProRes RAW files and White Balance / ISO can be adjusted in Final Cut Pro.
In firmware Ver.4.00, the menu structure has been changed and some functions have been renamed. Particularly, the movie setting menu has undergone major changes due to the expansion of setting items, and some of the settings will revert back to the default value accordingly.
This new firmware can be downloaded via the smartphone App “FUJIFILM Camera Remote”. However, since many items have been changed, please be sure to check the detailed information about this firmware on the official website before implementing the update.
In Stock Check
- Fujifilm GFX100S: BHphoto / AmazonUS / Adorama / Focuscamera / Moment
- MHG-GFX S hand grip: BHphoto / AmazonUS / Adorama
- GF80mmF1.7 R WR: BHphoto / AmazonUS / Adorama / Focuscamera / Moment
Save $500 via mail-in rebate