Fujifilm releases “FUJINON LENS XF16mmF2.8 R WR”
– Compact lens with fast AF performance, weighing just 155g, for casual snapshots and landscape photography
– Exceptional image sharpness, dust and weather resistant, and capability of operating at temperatures as low as -10°C
– Wide-angle lens in the Compact Prime series of interchangeable lenses for the X Series
Fujinon XF16mm f/2.8
FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Kenji Sukeno) has announced that a compact and lightweight wide angle lens, “FUJINON LENS XF16mmF2.8 R WR” (XF16mmF2.8 R WR), will join the lineup of interchangeable lenses for the X Series of digital cameras, renowned for their outstanding image quality based on the company’s proprietary color reproduction technology. The new lens has the maximum aperture value of F2.8 and focal length of 16mm (equivalent to 24mm in the 35mm film format), delivering edge-to-edge sharpness. Stylishly designed and weighing just 155g, the lens boasts high-speed AF performance, making it ideal for casual snapshots and landscape photography. The XF16mmF2.8 R WR’s black color will be released in late March 2019, and its silver color is due to be released in May 2019.
The XF16mmF2.8 R WR is a wide angle lens that consists of 10 lens elements in 8 groups, including two aspherical lens elements, to effectively control field curvature and spherical aberration for an advanced level of image sharpness across the frame. It is capable of drawing out the full performance of Fujifilm’s proprietary X-Trans™ CMOS sensor*. Its inner-focus AF system** uses a stepping motor*** to drive the focusing group of lens elements for silent and fast autofocus. Furthermore, the compact lens weighs just 155g. This means the total weight of a camera system comes to only 538g when this lens is mounted on the FUJIFILM X-T30 mirrorless digital camera (X-T30), also announced today, promising exceptional portability.
Metal parts are used extensively on the exterior to achieve a stylish look that gives a sense of premium quality and robustness. The aperture ring and focus ring have been designed for optimum operability and user comfort. The lens is also dust and weather resistant, and operates at temperatures as low as -10°C, accommodating a wide variety of shooting conditions.
Fujifilm has been promoting compact and lightweight fixed-focal-length lenses as the “Compact Prime” series, which include stylish models such as the “FUJINON LENS XF23mmF2 R WR” (XF23mmF2 R WR), “FUJINON LENS XF35mmF2 R WR” (XF35mmF2 R WR) and “FUJINON LENS XF50mmF2 R WR” (XF50mmF2 R WR). The series allow users to enjoy snapshots casually, thereby further expanding the appeal of the X Series.
- * X-Trans is a trademark or registered trademark of FUJIFILM Corporation. With a highly-aperiodic proprietary color filter array, the sensor minimizes moiré effects and false colors without the use of an optical low-pass filter.
- ** An AF system that moves relatively small lens elements in the middle or at the rear for focusing without moving the front group, which consist of relatively large lens elements
- *** A type of motor that rotates only at a fixed angle in response to an electrical pulse signal, making it capable of precision positioning
1. Product features
(1) Advanced image resolution
- The lens consists of 10 elements in 8 groups, including two aspherical lens elements. The aspherical lens elements are controlled at high precision to reduce field curvature and spherical aberration, resulting in an advanced level of image sharpness across the frame and drawing out the full performance of Fujifilm’s proprietary X-Trans™ CMOS sensor. The lens is also capable of close-ups with the minimum working distance of just 17cm.
(2) Compact, lightweight and stylish design for superior operability
- The compact lens weighs just 155g, keeping the total weight of a camera to only 538g when it is mounted on the X-T30 mirrorless digital camera for excellent portability. It also measures only 45.4mm long.
- The extensive use of metal parts on the exterior achieves a stylish look that gives a sense of premium quality and robustness, similar to the XF23mmF2 R WR, XF35mmF2 R WR and XF50mmF2 R WR.
- The aperture ring and focus ring have just the right amount of clicking and torque for ease of use.
(3) Fast and silent autofocus
- The lens uses the inner-focus AF system that drives smaller and lighter focusing elements. It uses a stepping motor, known for its silent operation and precise control, to achieve fast and silent autofocus.
(4) Advanced weather resistance will withstand a wide variety of shooting conditions
- The lens barrel, sealed at 9 locations makes the lens dust and weather resistant and capable of operating at temperatures as low as -10°C.
Mounting it on weather-sealed mirrorless digital cameras such as X-Pro2, X-T2, X-T3 and X-H1 allows you to shoot in light rain or a dusty environment outdoors with peace of mind.
“PRF-49” protection filter and “FLCP-49” front lens cap
- Together with the launch of the XF16mmF2.8 R WR, Fujifilm is releasing the PRF-49 protection filter and the FLCP-49 front lens cap compatible with Φ49mm filter diameter.