Fujifilm launches FUJINON Lens GF80mmF1.7 R WR
- Fujifilm GFX100S: BHphoto / AmazonUS / Adorama / Focuscamera
- Fujinon GF80mmF1.7: BHphoto / AmazonUS / Adorama / Focuscamera
– Standard prime lens with maximum aperture of F1.7 and AF system
– Achieving creamy and beautiful bokeh for high-quality portraits
– Further expanding the appeal of GFX Series of mirrorless digital cameras incorporating the large format sensor
TOKYO, January 27, 2021 — FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Kenji Sukeno) is pleased to announce that the FUJINON Lens GF80mmF1.7 R WR” (GF80mmF1.7 R WR) will be released in late February 2021. It will be a new addition to the lineup of interchangeable GF lenses designed for GFX Series of mirrorless digital cameras, incorporating the large format sensor*, approximately 1.7 times larger than a full-frame 35mm sensor.
The GF80mmF1.7 R WR is a large-diameter standard prime lens with a focal length of 80mm (equivalent to 63mm in the 35mm full-frame format). Among lenses for digital cameras featuring the large format sensors, it achieves an ultra-bright maximum aperture of F1.7 for creamy and beautiful bokeh. With its autofocus (AF) system, users can capture subjects swiftly and accurately to create high-quality portraits.
- * An image sensor measuring 55mm diagonally (43.8mm x 32.9mm), with the area approx. 1.7 times that of a 35mm full-frame sensor.
GF lenses are Fujifilm’s highest-grade lenses delivering ultra-high resolution performance and wide tonal reproduction. GF lenses use Fujifilm’s exceptional optical design technology and production technology that processes lens surfaces with the precision at a submicron level, fostered through the development of FUJINON Lenses. When mounted on mirrorless digital camera “FUJIFILM GFX100” released in June 2019, or mirrorless digital camera “FUJIFILM GFX100S” announced today, GF lenses enhance full performance of the 102MP image sensor, enabling super high-quality photos by utilizing Fujifilm’s proprietary color reproduction technology.
Of the lenses for digital cameras featuring large format sensors, the new GF80mmF1.7 R WR lens is optically designed with 12 lens elements in nine groups, including one aspherical lens and two super ED lenses, to produce an ultra-bright maximum aperture of F1.7. The advanced optical technology provides optimal control of spherical aberration for creamy and beautiful bokeh. In addition, the AF system quickly and accurately captures subjects so that users can capture decisive moment. Moreover, this bright F1.7 lens is only 99.2mm long and weighs just 795g for excellent portability. The lens is dust and weather resistant and capable of operation in temperatures of down to -10℃, affording high usability.
In addition to the large-diameter mid-telephoto prime lens “GF110mmF2 R LM WR”, the GF80mmF1.7 R WR is a high-performance lens that enables users to take high-quality portraits.
Fujifilm offers 13 lenses, including the new GF80mmF1.7 R WR lens, and a wide range of accessories to cover a wide range of shooting conditions from wide angle to telephoto, giving photographers’ pleasure of photography with the GFX Series products.
1. Product features
(1) Maximum aperture of F1.7 produces creamy bokeh
- The large-diameter lens provides the ultra-bright maximum aperture of F1.7 in a lens for digital cameras with large format sensors.
- Mold precisely processed to one-hundred thousandth of a millimeter are used in manufacturing the ultra-precise aspherical lens. Moreover, spherical aberration is optimally controlled with 12 lens elements in nine groups, including this aspherical lens and two super ED lenses to create creamy bokeh from the focal plane to the background with a three-dimensional effect allowing the subject to stand out in contrast.
- The six-element focus group, including aspherical lens, is driven all at once, thereby minimizing aberrations which occur during focusing to create high-quality photos.
(2) AF system swiftly and accurately captures subject
- The GF80mmF1.7 R WR has the AF system powered by a DC motor perfect for driving large lens elements. This allows fast and accurate focusing on the subject even when depth of field is shallow which requires advanced auto-focusing precision, and users can capture decisive moments.
- With its high light-gathering power, the GF80mmF1.7 R WR achieves AF at a low-light -5.5EV** luminance level, a 0.5 improvement over previous model’s -5.0EV*** luminance limit. The GF80mm F1.7 R WR allows for smooth AF even in dim light to capture the subject with high precision while mitigating camera shakes and reducing digital noise.
- It supports digital cameras with face and eye detection AF systems. In portrait mode, it has the capability to capture facial expressions of moving subjects.
- ** When mounted on the FUJIFILM GFX100 and FUJIFILM GFX100S
- *** When the FUJINON Lens GF110mmF2 R LM WR is mounted on the FUJIFILM GFX100.
(3) Dust and weather-resistant capable of operating at down to -10℃
- Fujifilm’s proprietary optical design produces a bright F1.7 lens that is 99.2mm long and weighs just around 795g. It is easy for the users to carry and walk around with as they take photos, making the GF80mmF1.7 R WR highly usable.
- Sealing has been applied to the lens in 10 different locations to ensure dust and weather resistance as well as operability at temperatures of down to -10℃. A fluorine coating has been applied to the front element of the lens as a water repellent and protection against stains, facilitating photography in light rain or harsh dusty outdoors.