refresh this page for the latest updates
PRE-ORDERS (and support FR)
Today you can support my work here on Fujirumors. If you choose to pre-order it using one of the shoplinks (AmazonUS, BHphoto, Adorama, wexDE, wexUK & Co) in this post, FR will get a small commission on it. It won’t cost you a single penny extra on your gear. Thanks in advance to those who decide to support this blog… your support will keep this blog running.
Frimware: “Fujifilm launches new firmware for three X-Series cameras that makes on-the-spot instax printing possible with the instax SHARE Smartphone Printer SP-1..” (UPDATE: this link has been removed. It was marked with the date “June 17”, so probably it is planed to be released tomorrow.)
First looks and samples
Fujifilm launches its first weather resistant XF lens. FUJINON LENS XF18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR
Fujifilm Corporation (President: Shigehiro Nakajima) is announcing the release of its XF18-135mm high magnification zoom lens. The XF18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR will be available from July 2014.
This latest addition to the company’s line up of profession-grade lenses for X-series interchangeable-lens cameras covers a wide shooting range of 27mm wide-angle to 206mm telephoto equivalent*. It has the world’s most advanced 5.0-stop image stabilization technology** and features a dust-proof and waterproof structure with weather resistant sealing applied to more than 20 different areas of the lens.
- * 35mm film equivalent
- ** Complies with CIPA (Camera & Imaging Products Association) standards
1. Product name, release date
|Product name||FUJINON LENS
XF18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR
|Release date||July, 2014|
2. Product features
(1) Covering a wide shooting range, from 27mm wide-angle to 206mm telephoto*
- The new XF18-135mm lens is suited to a variety of scene types and subject matter as it covers frequently used angles of view. These include wide-angle shooting, often used for landscapes and architecture with an excellent sense of perspective (27mm equivalent); a normal angle of view that naturally captures the image as it is (35mm, 40mm, 50mm equivalent); and telephoto, which allows you to zoom right in to capture portraits and sports scenes (85mm, 135mm, 200mm equivalent) with its 7.5x zoom.
- To achieve high descriptive performance with sharpness and rich contrast from the wide-angle to the telephoto, high-performance glass including 4 aspherical glass lenses and 2 ED glass lenses has been used. Multi-layer HT-EBC, which has high permeability (99.8%) and low reflectance (0.2%), is applied to the entire lens to effectively reduce lens flare and ghosting, which often occur in backlight conditions.Utilizing the wide zoom range of the lens, there is more freedom in composition and selecting angles.
- * 35mm format equivalent
(2) Fast autofocus (max. 0.10sec.)**, silent operation
- The XF18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR uses an inner focusing mechanism*** for rapid autofocus speeds. This was engineered by making the focus lens lighter and installing a linear motor. When this lens is combined with an X-series camera body*4 which is compatible with phase detection AF, smooth photography is offered with faster AF.
- Linear motor technology which directly drives the focus lens creates low noise for silent operation when shooting movies.
- ** Complies with CIPA guidelines, internal measurement, during high performance mode, according to Fujifilm as of June 2014
- *** Method that moves relatively smaller lenses in the middle or at the end without moving the front which is composed of relatively larger lenses
- *4 As of June 2014, “FUJIFILM X-T1” and “FUJIFILM X-E2”
(3) World’s most advanced 5.0-stop image stabilization function
- In order to achieve the world’s most advanced 5.0-stop image stabilization performance, the ability to detect movement in the low-frequency band was improved, and an algorithm to accurately sense blur from the detected signal was developed. Correction performance was doubled in the low-speed shutter range. This helps to support a lightly-equipped shooting style without the use of a tripod.
- The newly adopted high-precision gyro sensor is installed with quartz oscillators which detect movement from high frequency to low frequency bandwidths.
(4) Weather resistant structure
- Weather resistant structure with sealing applied to 20 different areas of the lens barrel is resistant to typical atmospheric changes that occur in a natural environment, such as sudden rain, dust, and splashes of water.
- In order to improve the feel when adjusting the zoom, a ventilator has been placed on the inside of the base of the lens barrel. The structure effectively prevents dust particles and moisture from getting into the lens to ensure smooth operation.
- Designed to be paired with the Fujifilm X-T1 and its dedicated vertical grip VG-XT1 which also have weather resistant bodies.
(5) Light-weight and compact design for excellent portability
- The XF18-135mm lens offers a wide shooting range, advanced image stabilization, and a dust-proof, waterproof structure, all in a compact structure.
- When combined with the X-T1, the camera and lens weigh a mere 930g. This highly portable weather resistant kit offers much improved flexibility and wider photo opportunities to the photographer.
- The adoption of 4 aspherical lenses, each of which delivers the performance of multiple general spherical lenses together, has been used to achieve the lens’ extremely short optical length. With an easily maneuverable size and good holding balance with the total lens length, a comfortable shooting style is promised.
3. Specification Chart
|Name||FUJINON LENS XF18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR|
|Lens configuration||16 elements in 12 groups
(4 aspherical elements and 2 ED lenses)
(35mm format equivalent: 27-206mm)
|Angle of view||76.5°- 12°|
|Aperture control||Number of blades:||7 (rounded diaphragm opening)|
|Step size:||1/3 step (17 steps)|
|Focus range||Normal: 0.6m – ∞
Macro: 0.45m – ∞
Maximum diameter X length (approx.)
(distance from tip to standard mount flange)
|φ75.7mm × 97.8mm (Wide-angle) / 158mm (Tele)|
(excluding lens cap and hood)
- * To ensure that autofocus performs as expected, download and install the latest version of the firmware for your camera.
The firmware can be downloaded from the following website.
http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/fw_table.html *available from June 27th