XF56mm samples and first impressions online!
XF 56mm f/1.2 ($999): USA AmazonUS / BHphoto / Adorama – EUROPE: wexUK / PCHstore / DigitalRev
X100S black ($1299): USA AmazonUS / BHphoto / Adorama – EUROPE: wexUK / PCHstore
It’s a great Fuji day! After the first image of the X-T1, Fujifilm posted some beautiful samples taken with the 56mm f/1.2 on their website here.
1) X-photographer Nathan Elson shared some first impressions and a video on his blog here: “The Fuji 56mm f/1.2 (85mm equivalent) has quite possibly been the most anticipated lens for portrait photographers using the X system, and now that it is finally here, I can honestly say that it is beautiful.”
David B. send me his first feedback, judging from the images on Fuji’s website:
– some samples, especially sample number 4 clearly illustrate that Fuji need to consider a 135mm equivalent prime. The face of the woman clearly looks unflattering with 85mm equivalent which is too short here. 135 or above would have flatten that face nicely and made the photo more flattering. I guess a 70-200 equivalent is the answer?
– 1.2 on a crop is not a 1.2 on a full frame and that is clear from samples shot at 1.2. Those who were concerned that it is hard to keep in focus at 1.2, its not. It is merely like focusing Full Frame at 1.8. Nothing magical.
– the sharpness looks great at all photos even wide open.
2) It’s online again, Patrick La Roque here. For part2 click here: “Here are some 100% crops to give you an idea of the sharpness vs DOF when shooting this lens wide open. Bear in mind that these are from an early pre-production unit. You can click on them to get a larger and clearer version.“
3) For Bert Stephani’s nice video review click here: “Even at 1.2 it’s perfectly sharp.”[UPDATE: Rico Pfirstinger started a sample set on Flickr here.]