The brand new Viltrox 85mm f/1.8 autofocus lens for Fujifilm X is getting the more and more attention since FujiRumors started covering it with this hands-on test back in September 2018 (includes RAW samples to download).
This time Mattias and Andrew compare it also to the Fujinon XF 90mm f/2. Mattias used it on an X-Pro1 and X-E3, whereas Andrew on the Fujifilm X-T3. Their findings do not correspond always.
Check out the main points below:
DPReview interviewed Toshi Iida, Makoto Oishi and Shin Udono. Here are the main points (full interview at dpreview here):
- Full Frame and Medium Format will coexist
- GFX 50R sales look very promising
- FF is 1/3 of market in terms of value, slightly growing
- MF was 1%, but doubled after GFX introduction
- 70% of MF buyers were coming from other brands, mainly DSLR, and the GFX is their additional system
- 20% of GFX users are professionals, 80% non-professionals (especially GFX 50R users)
- Fujifilm wants to increase professional base, also thanks to Capture One support and with future GFX 100
- Fujifilm GFX 100 should show the potential of medium format
- FF can reach 70-80 Megapixel
- GFX lenses designed for 100MP resolution
- Fujifilm GFX100 will be available before the end of June
- Fujifilm GFX100 target is commercial photographers, fashion, landscapes, but also more general purpos
- GFX 100 will shoot at 16bit RAW. Benefit noticeable mostly at low ISO and deep shadow detail. 4 times the amount of data, 14 bit lets you shoot faster, which is appropriate for APS-C
APS-C vs Full Frame
Matthias contacted me via email, with an important update to his ongoing Viltrox 85mm f/1.8 autofocus lens for Fujifilm X.
“New firmware released, all bugs are gone and the focus speed has been updated! The Viltrox 85mm f1.8 is now one of, if not the best bang for the buck lenses in the Fuji system.”
Above you can see his quick video review update. He also updates his written review at gunpowdervideo.
At photokina 2018, I had the chance to play with a very early prototype version of the Viltrox 85mm f/1.8. You can see an autofocus test and get RAW samples here.
Our Owners Groups
- Fujifilm GFX User Group
- Fujifilm X-T User Group
- Fujifilm X-H User Group
- Fujifilm X-E User Group
- Fujifilm X-Pro User Group
- Fujifilm X100 line Group
Our Facebook Pages
Viltrox 85mm f/1.8
After several delays, the lens finally started shipping with its final firmware. You can purchase it here.
First reviews can now be found on the web and you can find a review-in-progress at gunpowdervideo, who tested it on his good old X-Pro1. Here some excerpts:
“The lens is very well crafted. Its all metal. […] The autofocus (on X-Pro1) is fine, on par with the native 18mm.
One weird thing I have noticed is that the confirmation beep comes before the green square on the display
it doesn’t support manual aperture
Viltrox 85mm f1.8 vs Fujifilm 56mm f1.2