DPReview published a list of 5 reason, why Fujifilm won’t make a full frame X100 camera.
- A larger sensor would add size and weight, mitigating a major X100 selling point
- Such a product would cost a lot to develop and manufacture
- The result would be a very expensive camera – reducing its potential audience
- A move to full-frame would annoy and worry existing loyal Fujifilm APS-C customers. Also, if Fujifilm announces any full frame camera, could look like a massive vote of no confidence in APS-C
- The risk of cannibalization within existing lineups is too great
And what about a medium format X100 then? DPR writes:
So might Fujifilm build a medium-format X100? There’s an argument to be made that it makes sense in a way that full-frame just doesn’t. Medium format would offer an increase in potential image quality over full-frame (albeit relatively modest – about 2/3EV), a significant leap in image quality over APS-C, it’s a major part of Fujifilm’s brand identity, and the larger format is a key differentiator for Fujifilm compared to competitive manufacturers.
Well, I won’t enter the argument about the “relatively modest” advantage of the Fujifilm GFX over full frame. This is a thesis DPR started pushing back in 2017, and FujiRumors comprehensively answered it in the article “DPReview Recommends 3 Full Frame Cameras Combined over 1 Fujifilm GFX“. Also, in the meantime something called Fujifilm GFX100 hit the market, with the newest sensor technology.
For the rest, the whole 5 reason list makes sense. Check out the full in-depth article at dpreview.
And one could also add one more ;)
- full frame offers a “relatively modest” advantage over APS-C, and also has a couple of disadvantages over APS-C, that you can read here
Popular photography industry insiders, claimed that APS-C is the actual sensor size sweet spot. Keep in mind, they said “sweet spot“, not “automatically the best tool for everybody“.
- Fujifilm X100V: BHphoto / AmazonUS / Adorama / Focuscamera
- Fujifilm X-T4: BHphoto / AmazonUS / Adorama / FocusCamera
Our Owners Groups
- Fujifilm GFX User Group
- Fujifilm X-T User Group
- Fujifilm X-H User Group
- Fujifilm X-E User Group
- Fujifilm X-Pro User Group
- Fujifilm X100 line Group
Our Facebook Pages
Fujifilm has disclosed the full list of lenses that will get up to 6.5 stops on thanks to the Fujifilm X-T4 IBIS. You can see the comparison table below.
You will also find a picture of the X-H1 and X-T4 IBIS unit side by side.
As a little bonus, go to minute 1:46 of the video below, to see the pre-production IBIS of the X-T4 compared to the one of the Sony A7III and the X-T4 used on a gimbal.
And there is one more video comparison below, that starts from 4:37.
Of course the gimbal wins. When it comes the to the Sony A7RIII vs Fujifilm X-T4 comparison, the Fujifilm X-T4 is clearly superior, but we know that from the X-H1 already.
- Fuji X-T4 in USA: BHphoto / AmazonUS / Adorama / FocusCamera
- Fuji X-T4 in EU: AmazonDE / CalumetDE / WexUK / ParkcamerasUK / JessopsUK / AmazonUK / PCHstore
- BC-W235 Dual Battery Charger: BHphoto / AmazonUS / Adorama / Focuscamera
- NP-W235 Battery: BHphoto / AmazonUS / Adorama / FocusCamera
- Vertical Grip: BHphoto / Adorama / Focuscamera
So I did it. I placed my pre-order for the Fujifilm X-T4.
I hope it will come in time for the wedding I will be shooting.
So why did a rangefinder lover like me buy a SLR-styled camera with selfie flippy screen? And why not wait for Fujifilm X-H2? Here are 5 reasons:
- I love dials: the Fujifilm X-H2 will have a top LCD screen. I prefer to have an exposure compensation dial… as many dials as possible. That’s what brought me into the Fujifilm X system, and that’s why I remain there. And I don’t care if the Fujifilm X-H2 has 43 megapixel and new processor. Ergonomics are more important than megapixel to me.
- I love compactness: the Fujifilm X-H2 will have a massive grip. That’s great for many of you, but I like my cameras to be smaller (which is why I shoot also the amazing X-E3)
- there is no hiding, I would have preferred a 3 way tilt screen. But then I thought, that I use the screen maybe 10% of the time, as I am total viewfinder fan. And in those 10% of the times, I will get used to flip that screen out. It still allows for portrait orientation (which the X-T100 screen does not). And it still allows for low and high angle shots. But again… my thought… I use the EVF anyway all the time. For the rest I will just keep it flipped inwards, like the “hidden screen” of the X-Pro3.
- As you know I am a teacher, and in the last few years I started making more and more videos with my students, as this is an extremely motivating activity for me and for the students. So far I filmed with my X-E3, or X-E2 (which I destroyed). Now it’s time to step up my game and get a camera with IBIS and serious video specs. At the beginning of June I will be on a 1 week school trip abroad, and I hope to have the X-T4 to document it.
- The X-H1 was close to make it into my camera bag. But looking at the massive autofocus improvements on the X-T4, I just had to pass and get the Fujifilm X-T4.
So yes, I am in. I pre-ordered the Fujifilm X-T4. Now the long waiting begins, just like all of you guys, as I have absolutely no privileged contacts with Fujifilm.
Wait… you want to know which color? Well, make your guess in the comments. I will let you know later on ;).
We just had to debunk a rumor, about an imminent arrivial of Fujifilm X-T3 firmware 4.0.
We confirm, the firmware is NOT coming soon, hence the screenshot you see in this post with the firmware update list, is 100% fake. Fujifilm is NOT currently editing the firmware page to release a new firmware very soon.
Here is the rumor we received from sources (thanks):
a significant number of the new features in X-T3 successor will be introduced to X-T3 via firmware updates in the spring/summer
So, there will be eventually one, but the wait is definitely longer, and Fujifilm is NOT editing their firmware page right now, as the firmware has still to be developed. So no need to format your SD-Card, fellow X-T3 users ;).
But the day the firmware comes, what could be the features? Easy to upgrade should be:
- digital image stabilization
- new film simulations Classic Negative and Bleach Bypass
- AF Range limiter, Clarity adjustment, handheld HDR feature
- 240 fps
But that’s all just speculation from my side. Nobody knows the precise features yet.
The Fujifilm X-T4 will be announced February 25/26 (depending on your time zone here)