These will be great lenses for Fujifilm X-T3, Fujifilm X-T4, Fujifilm X-T5, Fujifilm X-T6, Fujifilm X-H2, Fujifilm X-H2S, Fujifilm X-H3, Fujifilm X-H2r, Fujifilm X-Pro4 and all the other cameras that Fujifilm will launch in the decade to come, such as the Fujifilm X-T7, Fujifilm X-H4, Fujifilm X-H5, Fujifilm X-Pro5, Fujifilm X-E5, Fujifilm X-H20, Fujifilm X-S20, Fujifilm X-H2O (the underwater X-H2)… ;)
Alex Barrera wonders: is medium format worth it?
In an attempt to figure out the answer, he shared a blind test using the following gear:
In the blind test, all images marked with “A” belong to one camera and all images marked with “B” belong to the other camera.
I did my the test myself, and honestly, right at the very first image comparison (see image below) I thought “oh please let “A” be the the Fujifilm GFX100S“. And lucky me, camera “A” is indeed the Fujifilm GFX100S.
Megapixel had not much to do with my preference. It’s a compressed youtube video, how could that matter. Megapixel matter more when you work with the files in post, or when you print.
My preference had more to do with the output of the Fujinon GF80mmF1.7 lens itself, which is very similar in terms of shallow depth of field to the RF 50mm f/1.2 L, but the bokeh looked just more pleasing in my eyes. Then there are other subjective elements like the colors (Provia in this case) and so forth. Overall, I mostly picked A (GFX100S).
But what about Alex? Is medium format worth it?
No, it’s not worth it, and here is why:
Coming 2022 (For Sure)
So what can we look forward to in 2022?
Well, here are the 10 things we can be sure to enjoy this year (even if some of them are “just” rumors until now).
- Fujifilm X-H2
- Fujifilm X-H2 – no joke, twice
- Fujinon XF150-600
- XF 56mm f/1.2 MKII
- XF 18-120mm
- Viltrox 13mm f/1.4 AF X Mount
- GF 20-35mm – possible aperture range shared here
- Sigma X mount lenses
- More AF X mount lenses from Tamron
- TTArtisan 32mmF2.8 X autofocus mount lens
Your Fujifilm Wishes for 2022
Ok, I can hear your questions:
- what about the Fujifilm X-T5?
- will there be a Fujifilm X80?
- Since the GFX50R is discontinued, will there be a Fujifilm GFX50RII or eve GFX100R?
- is this the year we will get the Fujinon XF300mmF4 and XF500mmF5.6?
- will Fujifilm listen and give us our most wanted telephoto prime, the XF400mmF4?
- anything coming with a monochrome sensor?
- what about that amazing modular Fujifilm GFX?
- the Fujifilm X-T30II can’t be really called an X-T30 successor, so will be get the Fujifilm X-T40 after the Fujifilm X-H2?
- what will the computational photography features be in the upcoming Fujifilm X-H2?
- will Fujifilm go full frame?
- will there be more MKII lenses in addition to the XF56mmF1.2MKII?
Well, some of those questions I think Fujifilm managers quite categorically already answered in the past, such as the monochrome questions and full frame question. But hey, managers also categorically said that X mount is not compatible with IBIS, and look, at the end we got IBIS, and it is even one of the best in the industry.
I am also working on some other of those questions, and I already have first answers that I won’t share just yet as I want to have it not only twice, but multiple confirmed. I can’t go wrong when I share certain things ;).
But we will talk about all that soon enough.
What I would like from you now, is that you share your top wishes for 2022 in the comments. Anything goes, as long as it has something realistic to it. So for example, wishing for an X-E5 when we just got an X-E4 is not very realistic. Also a big and heavy Fujinon XF600mmF2 probably won’t make much sense, unless you would pay any amount for it and train a lot to be able to carry it around.
Other than that, from cameras to firmware or lenses… whatever your heart desires and wishes, feel free to share it in the comments down below.
The Fastest Growing Fujifilm Group
- Fujifilm Film Simulation Group (100% Fuji Colors Power)
Join Our Owners Groups
- Fujifilm GFX User Group
- Fujifilm X-T User Group
- Fujifilm X-S User Group
- Fujifilm X-H User Group
- Fujifilm X-E User Group
- Fujifilm X-Pro User Group
- Fujifilm X100 line Group
Join Our Facebook Pages
- save 28% on Capture One 22 pre-upgrades (20% discount offered by Capture One plus additional 10% with code FUJIRUMORS).
No better pre-upgrade deal is coming, not even at Black Friday. This is the best deal and it will end in about 24 hours.
Fujifilm vs Sony
There are a lot of differences between Fujifilm and Sony, and I believe each company could learn some things something from each other.
But today I’d like to focus on one aspect, that I believe Sony and other brand are doing right, and Fujifilm should copy.
Let’s talk about it.
What we Expect from Fujifilm
I thought I make a quick list of cameras and lenses that we could see in 2021, and what we surely will not get in 2021.
ATTENTION: It’s a mix of rumors, speculations and hopes. So read carefully to distinguish one from another.