The year is over, so it’s high time to make a big summary of the rumors shared in 2014, but especially to see what will come in 2015.
NOTE about the 2014 rumor check-up. I have made 2 lists. A “fair list” and an “unfair list“. The fair lists consist in all the rumors shared by different sources at different times, each of them could have been right or wrong. On the other hand, in the unfair list I put everything into the same pot. So, for example, all the different rumors shared over several months by various sources about the X30, will result as just 1 correct rumor. It’s not fair towards the work of my sources, but I share it out of a pre-emptive self-defense from those who want to put every into the same pot.
And now let’s start:
THE 2015 PREVIEW
Here is the whole list of rumors, shared in 2014 and that might or might not become real in 2015:
– X-PRO2 with APS-C sensor
– No more X-PRO1S, all R&D placed into the X-PRO2
– Fujifilm Flash will come in spring 2015, guide no. 50 and wireless control
– Another entry level X in early 2015!
– XF 35mm MKII (As Fuji has first to complete its lens lineup, it could take a while before the 35 MKII hits the market… and Fuji can change plans in any moment regarding this lens.) [UDPATE: A Fuji manager said in a dc.watch interview, that Fuji indeed planed a new version of the 35mm. A prototype with APD filter was tested. Apparently Fuji dropped plans for such a lens later on.]
– Faster AF for the 35mm MKII (This rumor is separated from the first 35MKII rumor, as it comes from another source and was posted in another article)
– 35mm MKII announcement early 2015 [Could refer to the APD version (source – dc.watch interview). If I got it right, plans for such a lens were dropped. Let’s check it in early 2015]
– X-PRO2 available in 2015
– New Fuji flash with remote communication, HSS etc. available within late 2014 early 2015
– XF 16-55mm f/2.8 WR to be announced on January 6th
– Fuji Flash made with METZ, ABC grouping, off shoe TTL
– X-PRO2: available around “this time next year” with more than 16MP (the rumor was shared in late August 2014 by an anonymous source with nick name)
– X-PRO2 with 24MP
– X-PRO2 priced about 20% to 30% more expensive than the X-T1
– X-PRO2 will feature a dual SD card slot.
– Fujifilm will launch three non-interchangeable lens X-cameras within this winter… X100T, X30 and ? (winter 2014/2015)
– Sigma is looking at the X-system, but they still have to decide which lenses produce and when to launch them (shared 1 DEZ 2014).
– ORGANIC SENSOR problems to solve: too much battery drain and too much heat being generated
– Fujifilm to launch a new PRO-photographer service in 2015 like Nikon’s/Canon’s NPS/CPS!
THE 2014 CHECK
the fair list
(83% correct rumors)
CORRECT RUMORS IN 2014
1. Super-Bokeh lens Fujinon XF 56mm f/1.2 R APD! (for about $1400/$1500)
2. Bokeh Lens: New XF lens with super-smooth bokeh coming? (dual aperture lens / STF)
3. New X-T1 firmware: shutter speed will increase from 1/4000 to 1/32000 – better movie capabilities – faster/better AF (including phase detection on instant AF) – some other minor improvements (like new film simulation modes). Firmware updates will be released in October and December
4. Silver X-T1 at photokina
5. Multiple Announcements next week & Price: XF56mm APD lens and XF50-140 ($1500-$1600) 2.8 (shared September 5)
6. X100T: USB-charging system (+ battery charger), 7 FN buttons, bigger LCD than the X100S (1.04 dot 3-inch LCD screen) and WiFi!
7. X-T1 Graphite Silver Edition: deluxe accessories, 1/32,000 shutter speed & will cost $200 more than black X-T1! (anonymous source)
8. Fujifilm X100T first X-camera with electronic shutter (up to 1/32,000)
9. X100T no tilt screen
10. X100T same lens
11. X100T HVF: Real-Time Parallax in OVF
12. X100T with electronic overlay in OVF
13. XF 56mm f/1.2 Super-Bokeh lens
14. X-T1 new firmware update is coming (posted August 15)
15. X100T will have 16mp
16. X100T successor of X100S
17. X100T announcement September 10
18. X30 with 2/3 sensor, 12 MP, X-TRANS 2
19. X30 with 6 function buttons and view mode button
20. X30 won’t have an OVF
21. X30 EVF magnification same as X-E2, same resolution of X-T1/X-E2
22. X30 Announcement 26th of August. Quite different design compared to X20
23. X30 WiFi with remote control capability, +/-3 exposure compensation.
24. X30 with 3“ Tilt Screen
25. X30 Battery: more than 400 shots with one battery and USB-charging.
26. X30 Battery (part 2): Same battery of X100/S, the NP-95. (AS)
27. X30 lens: 28-112mm f/2-2.8 (same as X20)… but with dual ring!
28. X30 coming in summer (shared in Winter 2014)
29. “Classic Chrome“: Fuji’s new film simulation
30. XF lens deals coming tomorrow (August 10): discount on some XF lenses : : XF 27mm will drop from $449 to $299!
31. X-T1 bundle deal starting 3rd of August (with free vertical grip and spare battery)
32. XF 90mm f/2
33. XF16mm f/1.4
34. XF 18-135 coming June 16th
35. X-E2 deal
36. X-E2 firmware update with X-T1 EVF refresh rate coming soon (correct, it came a few days later)
37. TCL-X100 will be out end of May (correct. It’s available since then in Japan, now also in Europe. Still out of stock in USA)
38. TCL-X100 will cost €250 and be a bit cheaper than the WCL (correct. AmazonDE sells the silver version for €249, while the discounted WCL still costs €269)
39. TCL-X100 will cost $350/400 (correct, it costs $350 at Bhphot & Co)
40. TCL-X100 coming second half of April (correct, announced April 22)
41. Lightroom 5.4 coming next week
42. February/March lens deals with confidential Fuji document
43. With the next update, Adobe will support X-Trans film simulation
44. X30 won’t come in February/March as rumored by digicame-info
45. Image and size comparison of the 10-24 with a protype 18-135 (real image)
46. XF 16-55 and 50-140 will be weather sealed
47. X-T1 announcement in January 28th at 4:30 AM London Time
48. Improved WiFi for the X-T1
49. UHS-II SD card slot, but no double SD-card slot + 8fps with AF tracking (Fuji originally planed a dual SD-card slot. When the first X-T1 image leaked here on FR, it even looked like a dual SD-card slot, but the Japanese source said it has just a single SD-card slot)
50. X-T1 will cost $1300 / €1200
51. First images of a prototype X-T1
52. Firmware update for Zeiss will add PDAF support
53. Tilt screen for the X-T1
54. The name of the weather sealed X will be X-T1
55. X-T1 will have the best EVF on the market
56. black X100S will have a retail price of about £1000, about the same as silver version (the final retail price in UK is RRP £1099.99 for the black and £1049 for the silver version, according to wexUK. But now both are sold cheaper).
57. XF56mm announcement at January 6th
58. black X100S will be the only “new” X-camera presented at CES
59. Nissin i40: first lot of flashes available early September (the actual availability date will be various between countries, so in some countries it could come a little later). NOTE: The rumor, shared back on July 4th, was correct. Nissin itself confirmed it in September. But there was a last minute delay. Read more about at dc.watch here (translation)
60. Button Upgrade for the early produced X-T1′s with mushy buttons. (correct, at least in Japan at the moment for $75)
61. X-E2: different body colours/textures (service launched in UK)
62. Fujifilm X-T1 firmware scheduled for mid-December
63. X-E2 firmware of late 2014 won’t birng electronic shutter
64. X-E2 firmware: camera remote control firmware udpate coming for Fujifilm X-E2
65. Nissin i40 for Fuji coming to late fall (rumor shared on SEP12 here)
66. Nissin i40 shipping starts next week, but probably first in Asia (shared on NOV 12 here). Correcte, started in Hong Kong.
67. EXTENDED: Amazing X-DEALS will expire 27th of December (instead of NOV29) + XF 18-135 will be $100 off, too!
68. Silver X-T1 and Fuji X100T to be shipped in November
WRONG RUMORS IN 2014
1. X-T1P release with 4K viewfinder in July
2. XF 18-135 announcement on Memorial Day. NOTE: I excluded the rumor of an 18-135 f/3.5-4.8, as this was a typo by Fujifilm at the CP+ (see this image), and I just reported about it.
3. XF 18-135 will come in May
3. XF 18-135 in stores in February
4. X-PRO2 with FF sensor (wrong, and corrected a few weeks later by the top trusted Japanese source)
5. X200 with 24MP, tilt screen, improved AF and wider detection area (NOTE: The 24MP, tilt screen and new lens rumor, shared 7 months before the X100T announcement, have been corrected later on by the tursted Japanese source and by a source who was right in the past). The rest has been corrected a few weeks before announcement by other sources.
6. Medium Format Fuji
7. XF 120-400 (rumor shared 8 months before it was shown at photokina… it turned out to be a 140-400… pretty close, but still wrong)
8. Sigma X-mount coming at photokina
9. X-T1 hardware improvement. A limited edition X-T1 will be available with it pre-installed but existing models could be upgraded with the money worth of new parts. (maybe the source confused it with the premium edition “graphite X-T1”)
10. B&H should receive first batch of Fujifilm X100T cameras on November 18 (wrong, shipping started on the 13th.)
11. X-E2 firmware won’t bring Classic Chrome film simulation
12. X-E1 firmware coming by the end of the year 2014 with Classic Chrome (the firmware came, but it didn’t include Classic Chrome)
13. XF 50-140 f/2.8 WR & 56mm APD shipped in December (50-140 started shipping late November in USA/EU and 56 APD in early December in EU)
14. New flashes for Fuji X are on the way, coming “later this year“, probably presented at photokina (WRONG: flashes are coming, but in Spring)
the unfair list
(74% correct rumors)