The camera has been declared the best sub 1K camera and runner up camera of the year recently at DPReview here.
Fujifilm X-S10 – A Success?
Recently here on FujiRumors we shared an official media sheet showing how Fujifilm perceives its 2020 digital camera range.
We analyzed it together and I shared the opinion, that between the X-T30 and X-S10, only one camera line might continue, and it will be the one that will sell more.
After my statement (which might well be wrong, it’s just my opinion), I got many questions asking me how the Fujifilm X-S10 was selling.
Well guys, I have no idea how it is selling on the worldwide market.
All I could do, was to check what the response was here on FujiRumors, by comparing the first 3 pre-orders of the X-S10 to the ones of the X-T30. The X-E line is out of this competition, as it is way too niche and can’t compete in terms of sales. Anyway, here is what I saw:
That came very surprising for me.
In fact, it’s the first time ever that mid-range Fujifilm camera was able to raise that kind of interest and curiosity among the FujiRumors community.
That’s even more astonishing, considering the fact that the X-S10 departs from the classic retro-control scheme that many of us love, going more into Sony territory (and as I said, it’s a clear attack on Sony & Co indeed).
The fact that the Fujifilm X-S10 was able to break through in terms of interest and sales also within the FujiRumors community, makes me quite optimistic not only for the success of the Fujifilm X-S10, but also for the future of this new line and the overall future of Fujifilm during the tough times of this “mirrorless war“.
Fujifilm X-H2 – Inspired by X-S10?
So, there seems to be vivid interest for this kind of less retro-layout also among the FujiRumors community. And maybe Fujifilm should consider this, while developing the Fujifilm X-H2.
Let me explain:
Maybe Fujifilm should offer a Fujifilm X-H2 with a PSAM dial and an additional unmarked dial (but keeping the top LCD). The Fujifilm X-H2 could become the one camera, that battles against the full frame Sony, Canon and Nikons out there, trying to appeal to customers, who don’t like the retro-controls.
The Fujifilm X-S10 seems to be possibly successful thanks to this move, and it could work out well also for the Fujifilm X-H2.
Moreover, a less retro-operating X-H2 with PSAM + unmarked dial could differentiate itself better from the X-T line.
And for the rest of us, the retro-lovers niche, there would still be the Fujifilm X-T5, Fujifilm X-Pro4 and what not. All cameras that will continue to give us that nice tactile retro feeling that is part of the fun of shooting with Fujifilm.
X-S10 Reviews and Giveaway
Best Gear 2020
DPReview awarded the best gear of 2020.
Lots of what they say makes sense, but I don’t really agree with everything. For example, the Fujifilm X-T4 is second in the mid-range ranking behind the Canon R6, which costs $800 more. For me, the Fujifilm X-T4 is so much better value for money.
Worth to notice, Canon grabs some of the most prestigious top spots, which in the past were usually in solid Sony hands.
And to me totally unsurprising: the little and affordable Fujifilm X-S10 is not only the best entry level camera, but it also grabs the second spot as overall top product 2020.
I am saying it since I’ve shared the first rumors: Fujifilm is doing lots of things right with the X-S10. If you don’t need weather sealing or 2 SD card slots, it’s by far the best value for money camera you can buy.
Last but not least the glorious Fujifilm X100V, frankly without any competition in the fixed lens compact camera segment.
In my opinion the GF lenses would have highly deserved a top spot. But I guess the GFX system is not really on DPR’s radar due to rather limited market share, and it’s easier to award gear that is also a big hit at the box office.
Let’s go through the list.
Bad news: the Fujinon XF50mm f/1.0 is still hard to find. BHphoto & Co shipped a few samples a few weeks ago. But since then it run out of stock and is still on backorder. I understand that Fujifilm was totally surprised by the high demand for this lens, but I wish Fuji would finally be able to ship it to all of you guys, who pre-ordered it and now patiently wait for it.
- Fujifilm X-S10: BHphoto, AmazonUS, Adorama, Moment, Focuscamera
- XF50mmF1.0: BHphoto, AmazonUS, Adorama, Focuscamera
Fujifilm has released firmware 1.01 for Fujifilm X-S10 cameras.
Fujifilm X-S10 firmware 1.01 – download here
The firmware update Ver.1.01 from Ver.1.00 incorporates the following issue:
- The phenomenon is fixed that while the microphone/remote release connector is used, a camera doesn’t work well in a specific condition. If you use a microphone or a remote release, make sure to upgrade the firmware.
Make sure to….
The Fujifilm X-S10 Owner’s Manual has been released just now.
Make sure to….
Phew… that was a buy month!
Alone in October, here on FujiRumors we published 101 articles. That’s probably more articles than the hours of sleep I had the entire month!
But I hope all this mega-effort was worth it and you had a fun time reading FujiRumors.
What kept me so busy?
Well, surely the huge buzz around the big announcements, which culminated in the Fujifilm X summit and the official announcement of the Fujifilm X-S10, the XF10-24mmF4 MK II, the new X mount roadmap and the X-T3 firmware.
It was so busy, that making a Top 10 list is kind of limiting.
In fact, many in the top 10 were rumors about the Fujifilm X-S10. Hence, in order to avoid the X-S10 dominance in the list, and give space also to other relevant and interesting news, I will sum X-S10 rumors into one point.
So, here are the top 10 posts for October.
- Fujifilm X-S10 rumors (several posts with the top 3 being the leaked images, the layout explanation and the press release)
- New Firmware for Fujifilm X-T3 and X-H1 Released
- RUMOR: New Fujifilm X Lens Roadmap Coming Soon
- Next Fujinon X Mount Roadmap to Include Fujinon XF 18mmF1.4 WR
- Fujifilm X-E4 Coming in First Quarter 2021
- Fujifilm X-S10: Attack on SONY (& Co), Why it is NOT an X-T40/X-H10
- Fujifilm Digital Camera Range: Making Sense of the Line-Up, What Should be Dropped, What Should Stay… and Where is the X-H Line?
- Next Fujifilm GFX with 102 Megapixel (not Monochrome) and Much Smaller than Fujifilm GFX100
- IBIS COMPARISON: Fujifilm X-S10 vs X-H1 vs X-T4 – Smarter Wiring, 30% Smaller Side by Side with Older IBIS Units
- New Fujifilm Camera FF200003 Registered: Fujifilm X-E4, New Fujifilm GFX or Surprise Camera X-T40 or X80?
Bonus Posts You Should not Have missed:
- Fujinon XF70-300mmF4-5.6 vs XF55-200mmF3.5-4.8 vs XF100-400mmF4.5-5.6 vs XC50-230mmF4.5-6.7
- SIZE COMPARISON: Fujinon XF18mmF1.4 vs XF16mmF1.4 vs XF23mmF1.4
- Fujinon XF Wildlife Photography Lenses Needed, Base ISO 100, Firmware Wishes and More
- Good Bye, X-T1: I Sold my Fujifilm X-T1 Today – About Love for Dials and the Story Behind my Favorite X-T1 Image
- The X-Pan Rebirth of Fujifilm X-Pro1
Stay tuned for more fun coming in November ;).
- Fujifilm X-S10: BHphoto, AmazonUS, Adorama, Moment, Focuscamera
- XF10-24mmF4 R OIS WR: BHphoto, AmazonUS, Adorama, Moment, Focuscamera
Join Our Owners Groups
- Fujifilm GFX User Group
- Fujifilm X-T User Group
- Fujifilm X-S1 User Group
- Fujifilm X-H User Group
- Fujifilm X-E User Group
- Fujifilm X-Pro User Group
- Fujifilm X100 line Group
Join Our Facebook Pages
I have received additional official media slides about the Fujifilm X-S10.
I’ll share them all down below for you to check out. You’ll maybe learn a few more little tidbits, for example:
- a new heat sink has been designed, which transfer the heat to the magnesium allow body of the X-S10. This allows for more efficient heat dissipation and therefore allows for longer movie recording times
- not only the X-S10 has a 30% smaller IBIS, but it is also 27% lighter IBIS unit compared to X-T4 and almost twice as light compared to X-H1 IBIS
You can see the slides with the new heat sink design, the IBIS data, and more down below.
Adobe & Iridient
Adobe added support for Fujifilm X-S10 cameras.
Speaking of RAW converter, we remind you that Phase One has launched a pre-order campaign fro Capture One 21.
- if you own an older Capture One version (ver. 12 or older), you can now upgrade to Capture One 20 and you’ll get a free upgrade to Capture One 21 as soon as it released
- if you own Capture One 20 already, you can pre-order Capture One 21 with a 20% discount using code “PREORDER2020“
How to access the deal:
- Login to Capture One
- Go to the upgrade page and enter your license number
- Upgrade to C21 and get the 20% discount using the checkout code “PREORDER2020“