I do receive lots of email requests from fellow Fuji X shooters asking to be featured. And it is my pleasure to cut out regulary a space for you guys here on FujiRumors.
However, the requests are many, and the content on FujiRumors is overall very rich, so sometimes it takes a bit longer to be featured.
But I don’t forget any single one of you, and you’ll all be featured at some point. I just ask for a little bit of patience :).
DRPreview TV reviewed the Fujinon XF 8-16mm f/2.8. Here are their findings:
- professional line of Fujinon lenses
- well-built, heavy and expensive
- well suited for cameras like Fujifilm X-H1
- manual focus ring feels sloppy
- no OIS, but it’s typical for lenses in this range. But they miss it anyway, unless used on X-H1 with IBIS
- XF 10-24 more well suited for lighter bodies and has OIS
- no filter threads, typical for lenses that wide
- powerful autofocus motors. Fast and accurate
- coma very well corrected, excellent for astrophotography and cityscape
- vignetting and distortion very well corrected
- sunstars are not bad, but not the best they have seen
- close focusing is similar to the XF10-24 (9 feet)
- XF8-16 optically fantastic, very sharp
- 8mm at f/2.8 a little bit weird in the corners, but stopping down cleans up beautifully
- wide open it is sharper than the XF10-24, but stopped down difference gets smaller
- It’s admirable that Fujifilm gives us lenses that give us full frame equivalent look, like the Sony 12-24mm f/4 G
- the Sony 12-24 is lighter and $300 cheaper
- if you want FF look in APS-C, you are not going to save money
- for most people, the XF 10-24mm F4 is a better choice, since landscape you stop down anyway
- XF 8-16mm F2.8 is a niche lens
Fujifilm announced they will release the silver Fujinon XF 16mm f/2.8 R WR lens on May 23.
Adorama instead still says that “Fujifilm will start shipping the XF16mmF2.8 on 05/31/2019“.
Here on FujiRumors we also exclusively broke the rumor for you guys, that the Fujifilm GFX100 will be announced on May 23. Now go out, spread the word… and quote the source ;).
Fujinon Lens Roundup
- XF 80mmF2.8: BHphoto, AmazonUS, Adorama, FocusCamera
- XF 16mmF2.8: BHphoto, Adorama, AmazonUS, FocusCamera
- XF 200mm F2: BHphoto, Adorama, AmazonUS, Focuscamera
- XF 8-16mm F2.8: BHphoto, Adorama, AmazonUS, Focuscamera
You’ll find it all down below :).
Our Owners Groups
- Fujifilm GFX User Group
- Fujifilm X-T User Group
- Fujifilm X-H User Group
- Fujifilm X-E User Group
- Fujifilm X-Pro User Group
- Fujifilm X100 line Group
Our Facebook Pages
Fujinon XF 16mm f/2.8
Chris and Jordan from DPReviewTV published their quick review about the Fujifilm Fujinon XF 16mm f/2.8 WR (video above – entirely shot on Fujifilm X-T3).
Here are their findings:
- perfect lens for street photography
- compact and affordable
- XF 16mm f/1.4 is sharper, but way bigger and heavier
- XF 16mm f/2.8 pretty decent at f/2.8 and sharper in corners at f/4
- very quick AF and also smooth for video
- beautiful bokeh throughout the aperture range
- at the price point, as to expect, a bit of chromatic aberration and distortion
- fun, affordable and compact
- great price point
- Fuji gives us amazing choice when it comes to APS-C lens selection
Also, check out:
- billfortney – 16mm f/1.4 vs 16mm f/2.8 showdown
- fujirumors.com – Should you Get the Fujinon XF 16mm F2.8 or XF 16mm F1.4? – POLL and Comparison
Fujinon XF16mm f/2.8 WR: BHphoto, Adorama, AmazonUS, FocusCamera
Fujinon XF 16mmF1.4 WR (save $250): BHphoto, AmazonUS, Adorama, FocusCamera
Fujifilm X-T3 body (save up to $200): BHphoto, AmazonUS, Adorama, Focuscamera
Fujifilm XF 16mm Battle
Now that the 16/2.8 is shipping, the comparisons start and the decisive question is: should you get the 1.4 or the 2.8 version?
Also ivanjoshualoh tries to answer this question, and he compares autofocus performance, bokeh quality, sharpness and more of the two 16mm lenses.
The winner, for his needs and style of shooting, is still the Fujinon XF 16mm f/1.4. But there are definitely lots of great reason to go for the smaller rival, the Fujinon XF 16mm f/2.8.
Now it’s your turn… which one is your favorite? Vote the poll!
You can now compare the size of the Fujifilm X-T3o and Fujinon XF16mm f/2.8 to any other camera and lens available in the camerasize database.
At the current stage, camerasize does not allow you to attach any lens on the Fujifilm X-T30. So you have to select the Fujifilm X-T20 to attach the Fujinon XF16mm f/2.8 on it.
Above you can see a comparison of the Fujinon XF16mm f/2.8 (in the center) vs the XF35mm f/2, XF23mm f/2, XF16mm f/1.4 and my lovely XF27mm f/2.8.
- Fujifilm X-T30: BHphoto, Adorama, AmazonUS, FocusCamera
- XF 16mmF2.8 WR: BHphoto, Adorama, AmazonUS, FocusCamera
Make your own comparison at camerasize.
X-T Rumors, News and Community
You can now pre-order the Fujifilm X-T30 with any Fujinon F/2 prime and save $300! This means the XF23mmF2 would cost you $149, the XF35mmF2 $99 and the XF50mmF2 $149! The deal expires at Fujifilm X-T30 release on March 20.