In his latest video (see below), Thomas Heaton talks about the photography software he use to process his Fujifilm X-T3 RAW files. He tested
- Lightroom only
- Lightroom with Enhanced Details
- Lightroom with Iridient X Transformer Plug-in
- Capture One 20
Here are some considerations:
- Lightroom only: worm effect. Strange things go on. Images do not look great
- Lightroom with enhanced details: cleans up files, no worms, initially files look better. But he realized he loses lots of details actually, and hence looks softer
- Capture One: file looks fantastic. C1 does an amazing job. Nice clean file. He can see why Pros use that
- Iridient X Transformer: simple to install. Converts Fuji RAW files to DNG file and takes care of sharpening. The results are very close to Capture One results. Image looks cleaner, better. Very impressed with Iridient X Transformer
And in real life? Thomas printed the same image using the 4 different methods. He can’t see any difference. You need a loupe and super close, to see difference.
The only real noticeable difference appears during the editing process. You look at high res monitor super magnified. But when printed, you don’t really see difference.
But although in real world you can’t see real difference, you want to work with the best file possible, enjoy the processing. He recommends Capture One or Iridient X Transformer.
Thomas Heaton decided to use Iridient X Transformer. It’s almost as good as Capture One, and he can keep all his Lightroom workflow.
But if you don’t have problems to switch, he would recommend Capture One.
As you know, Phase One has released Capture One 20.
- Capture One Pro Product Page
- Capture One Pro for Fujifilm Product Page
- Capture One Pro for Sony Product Page
- Capture One Pro – Dedicated Launch Page
- Capture One Pro – Release Notes
I thought it might be helpful to share a few tutorial videos, not only about Capture One 20, but also about Capture One Pro 12, as many have either not yet upgraded, and because tips for C12 are useful also for C20.
Also, we share some C1 styles created by Michael Damböck.
Interested? Then check it out down below.
Capture One Pro 20
Phase One has just launched their pre-order campaign for Capture One 20.
Starting from today, everyone who purchases Capture One Pro 12 (including bundles, upgrades and new sales) will get a free upgrade to Capture One 20!
The offer will be valid until Capture One 20 is officially released.
Also, only until October 31, you get 10% discount on Capture One Pro 12 by using code OCT-AF-P89 at checkout.
The products that will include the free Capture One Pro 20 upgrade are:
- Capture One Pro 12, perpetual
- Capture One Pro 12 perpetual + 3 Styles
- Capture One Pro 12 perpetual + 6 Styles
- Capture One Pro Fujifilm 12 perpetual
- Capture One Pro Fujifilm 12 perpetual + 3 Styles
- Capture One Pro Fujifilm 12 perpetual + 6 Styles
- Capture One Pro 12 (for Sony) perpetual
- Capture One Pro 12 (for Sony) perpetual + 3 Styles
- Capture One Pro 12 (for Sony) perpetual + 6 Styles
As you can see from the image above, I have now switched to Capture One and left Lightroom forever. If you want to read my quick switch story, read “It Was Inevitable: I am Leaving Lightroom for Capture One Pro“.